Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Deadly Little Secrets

Some secrets shouldn't be kept...

Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help--but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.

This was one of those books that I’ve seen at the bookstore, but never considered reading. That is, until I read what it was about. I’m a fan of mysteries so as soon as I saw it was a mystery book I knew I had to read it. Once I started reading though I wasn’t so sure about that, the book was nothing like what I expected.

The whole book was supposed to be about Camelia’s relationship with Ben and the danger that came with it. However the book had nearly nothing to do with Ben. Sure he was a part of the story and played a role in the climax, but her relationship with Ben had hardly anything to do with the actual plot. In fact, she barely even had a relationship with him.

Another thing that bothered me about the book was her friends, Kimmie and Wes. For people who are supposed to be her friends they sure don’t act like it. When Camelia tells Kimmie about the calls and letters she’s been receiving Kimmie just ignores her and shrugs it off, thinking more about boys than the danger to her best friend’s life. Even after she believes that Camelia is in danger she still acts as if Camelia’s crazy every time she mentions it and complains that Camelia’s not being a good friend. I mean, hello, your friend’s life is in danger, sorry if she doesn’t have time to worry about your dad’s mid-life crisis.

Even with these minor problems in the story, I still enjoyed Deadly Little Secret.

What made this book great, and scary, was the chilling stalker notes. While there were only a few it was enough to have the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. The sinister tone of the notes carried on throughout the whole book, making it nearly impossible to put down.

The large cast of male characters was another plus. Stolarz’s characters are all a bit peculiar. From accused murder Ben to Camelia’s strange boss, Spencer, the entire male cast has you guessing towards who could be Camelia’s stalker. There was never a moment when I was 100% sure of whom I thought the stalker was. Every character seemed to have something about him that could make them the stalker. One minute I’d think it was one person and the next a strange run in with another character would have me guessing towards someone else.

While this book may not be exactly what it sounds like, it’s definitely a fun read.

3 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good. I'll have to see if my local library has it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...