Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Top Books of 2008

With 2009 getting well under way I thought I'd take a look back on my favorite reads of 2008. There were so many great books that I was able to read, but here are the top ten:

1. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

Okay, this book just makes the list because technically I didn't really read the book in 2008. I was reading it over New Years Eve and finished it on January 1st. Which makes it a 2008 book in my mind, that and the fact that I loved the book so much I couldn't imagine not including it on the list.

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I'd heard a lot about this book from authors and other bloggers but I never thought about reading it. Luckily my friend told me to read it or else I may have never found out how great it was. The book is full of action and adventure and never looses your attention.

3. Kitty Kitty by Michele Jaffe

The first book, Bad Kitty, was one of my favorites books of 2007 so, naturally, Kitty Kitty automatically became one of my favorites of 2008. Humor, mystery, rock star boyfriends, fashion, waky friends, evil cousins, homemade gadgets and, of course, cats. What more could you want in a book?

4. Samurai Girl series by Carrie Asai

These books came as a total surprise for me. I picked up the first book in the series, The Book of the Sword, on a whim since the TV version was coming out on ABC that month. Personally I thought that both the books and the TV show looked like a joke, but they both turned out to be amazing. Sometimes you find the best books when you least expect them.

5. Tattoo and Fate by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

After reading The Squad I decided to read more of Barnes' books. Tattoo was the first I picked up and I found it fantastic. It was funny and imaginative like The Squad but with a supernatural twist, which in my opinion is always interesting. The sequel, Fate (coming out March 10), was just as great.

6. Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle

Another diamond in the rough, this book was a surprise hit. I have a weakness for historical fiction so I had to buy this book once I saw it. I didn't expect much more than a light, fun read. Magic meets the London Season? The perfect combination for fun. In addition to being fun though, it was also suspenseful and enthralling. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.


7. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

This was my first foray into Sarah Dessen, and a great one at that. The story was touching and the characters were easy to love. Out of all the Sarah Dessen books I've read this is my favorite.

8. Sleepless by Terri Clark

This book had me up reading late into the night. From the first page I was hooked and didn't put it down until the end. It's always nice when you find a great book that you can read in under five hours.

9. The Faerie Path: The Sorcerer King by Frewin Jones

This entire series was amazing, but as I read them in 2007 this is the only book of the three that qualifies for the 2008 list. Faeries, war, love and betrayal this book was a great read. I was so excited to hear that Jones decided to write another set of three books about Tania and her adventures in the faerie realm.

10. In or Out: Friends Close, Enemies Closer by Claudia Gabel

While the warring best friends idea may be common in YA, Gabel did a great job of portraying real friends. These aren't girls living in Beverly Hills who can plan elaborate schemes or throw thousand dollar parties to win the war. You could imagine yourself going to school with Nola and Marnie and can relate to their problems with friends, family and boys. Out of all the fueding friend books these are by far the best I've read.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm totally honored that Sleepless is one of your 08 faves. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...I really want to read Sleepless and I've just gotten a copy of Bewitching Season in the mail, so I'm happy to start that! I loved Kitty Kitty too. Do you have Michele's graphic novel about Jas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did read the graphic novel about Jas. It was such a great addition to the series, a quick mini-mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love The Sweet Far thing. Also I have The Hunger Games on my to read list for this year.
    Good Choises.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hunger Games was one of my faves of the year too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed The Sweet Far Thing too! Great book, great trilogy. I can't wait for the first movie to come out. so far, no news of it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...