Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, February 6, 2009

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover...Or Can You?

This week we have a beloved author's newest novel and a beloved series' next installment. I hope you enjoy!


Going Bovine by Libba Bray

When I met Libba Bray last January and she was talking about her next book I was surprised. The book sounded nothing like her Gemma Doyle trilogy and to be honest, a little crazy. I didn't know whether or not I believed that she was actually writing it, but here it is Going Bovine! From what Libba has said on her blog I'm still unsure of the book, but it's Libba Bray, so of course I'll read it.

Release: September 22, 2009

Cover: The cover isn't exactly the flashiest, the colors are mute and the entire thing is a bit lack luster. However the cow carrying the gnome is what catches my attention. The first time I saw it it looked like a cow carrying a light saber, which is what provoked me to look at the book. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was Libba's Going Bovine (and that the light saber was really a gnome.) Over all, while the cover may not scream "Pick me up, I'm shiny!" it is definitely interesting in it's own way, which is just the type of book it is.

P.S. Sadly I couldn't find a synopsis for Going Bovine however I did find this tidbit from an interview on 3 Evil Cousins that sums it up nicely
"It's an absurdist, dark comedy about Cameron, a sixteen-year-old guy with mad cow disease, who goes on a road trip with his friend, Gonzo, a death-obsessed video gaming dwarf, and a talking yard gnome named Balder who wants to be a Viking hero. They are sometimes joined by a punk rock angel named Dulcie who has a propensity for spray-painting her wings and a love of microwave popcorn. You know, the usual." - Libba Bray

The Immortal Realm by Frewin Jones

My reaction to the cover and the creation of the fourth book in The Faerie Path series shows my maturity and sophistication. I believe it went a little something like "EEEEPPP!!!!!" I absolutely loved the first trilogy in this series. It was romantic, sinister, magical, intriguing, mysterious and many other wonderful adjectives. When the last book ended I cried (for reasons I cannot say, sorry no spoilers) and I was so happy to hear that Frewin Jones had decided to write another set of three books.

Release: May 5, 2009

Cover: Wow! Just, wow! The covers of these books have always been absolutely gorgeous. Even though that old adage says "You can't judge a book by its cover" that's exactly what I did with this series. I only picked up the first book, The Faerie Path, because of its beautiful cover. Of course after I read what it was about I knew I had to buy it, but the cover is what originally sold me. As the book have gone on the covers have improved, getting prettier and prettier with each book. The Immortal Realm's cover is absolutely breathtaking, by far the best yet!

P.S. Once again sorry, no synopsis. For those of you who have read the first three books and are dying to know what the fourth book is about, Jones blogged about it here. Feel free to take a look, but be warned there are spoilers.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of the FAERIE PATH books (not really my thing) but I like the cover for GOING BOVINE. It sounds really awesome. At first I thought the lawn gnome was lipstick, LOL. It's not the flashiest but still cute! I really need to read Libba's books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. libba's bray is out of this world, but i'm sort of hesitant to read her new novel, it looks a bit too out-there;) i'll read it over anywho...
    -amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...