Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch. Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste…

Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition. He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets. Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking—and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head. She doesn’t know who he really is—or what he is. Damen equal parts light and darkness, and he belongs to an enchanted new world where no one ever dies.

I decided to read Evermore after learning what it was about. After all, it sounded a lot like Jennifer Lynn Barnes’ Golden; girl who sees auras moves to a new town after a tragedy, meets a guy who tones down all of the physic energy, and takes on an evil force. Since I enjoyed Golden, I figured why not read Evermore? Plus it’s written by Alyson Noël, so it must be good.

However after reading the first few chapters I was unsure. The story seemed just a bit too out there. Damen was too perfect and too mysterious and Ever (too perfect a name) seemed a little too… well fortunate. The girl survived a deadly car crash, came out of it with psychic powers, moved in with an aunt who just happened to be rich and given every teenage girl’s dream room in a mansion in, of all places, Laguna Beach, and she just happens to catch the eye of the new hottie, despite her oversized sweat shirts and jeans. I mean, please, can we at least be a little realistic?

As I continued to read though, I realized that that was the whole point of the book. Damen is too perfect and overly mysterious and Ever is too fortunate to be true. Nothing can be so seemingly perfect without there being something going on, which is exactly the case with Ever. Her life isn’t what it seems and nor is Damen, there is a deeper, darker secret lurking underneath that is just waiting to be revealed.

This book went from a skeptical “I’ll finish it because I’m already so far in” book, to an “I can’t wait for the next one” book in one chapter. All of the problems in the plot and minor imperfections were explained and transformed into twists that I never would’ve seen coming.

I’d highly suggest this book to anyone. It’s supernatural, mysterious, adventurous, romantic, and sure to please.

4 Stars!

5 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one but I'm waiting for the paperback version.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evermore went straight to paperback. It was never a hardcover. So you don't have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely reading this next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely needing to read this one! B&N, here I come! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to say...I'm a little disappointed with this review. Evermore is definitely not 4-star worthy. I read this one quite a while ago, and besides remembering that I didn't care for it much, all I recall is how naive Ever was, how irritatingly and immaculately perfect Damen was, and how unoriginal the plot was. And if by mysterious you're talking about the unrealisticly unexpected parts of the story, then you'd be right on that one. It was sure NOT to please me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...