Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chick Chat: Mandy Hubbard

Mandy Hubbard is the author of Prada and Prejudice, a brand new YA novel. For more information about Mandy and Prada visit her website or blog.
____________________________________________________________________


Did you always want to be an author? If so why? If not what did you want to be?
No, actually, I didn't! I grew up wanting to be a vet, until I discovered that blood made me woozie, school was just as long or longer than to be a doctor, and vets don't make nearly as much as M.D.'s. When I was 20, I started writing, and it's been my passion ever since. Guess I'm a late bloomer!

Is being an author what you expected?
Yes, and no. I think we all glamorize authors, thinking they live in luxury, get up at noon and write in their pajamas, and make millions. In actuality its a lot of hard work crammed in wherever I can find the time! But it is SO worth it and I'd do it a thouand times over. :-)

What was your road to publishing like?
Oy! I could yammer on about this for hours. I think I'll just direct you to this post instead: http://mandywriter.livejournal.com/193306.html

What inspired you to write Prada and Prejudice?
I really love the regency era, but the romances set in Regency England always feature historical main characters, naturally. I wanted a more modern girl-- one like me--but I still love the romance of that time period. So I just combined the two to create my dream book.

What was it like to see your book in stores?
Magical! Seriously, it is really, really amazing to see the book just sitting there amidst stacks of others. It stops me in my tracks and makes me grin!

How did you celebrate the release of Prada?
I spent the day driving to local book stores, signing stock. I also had a fabulous lunch. I blogged about it-- with pictures-- here: http://mandywriter.livejournal.com/193886.html

Most writers have a close friend and/or family member that gives them support and criticism. Do you have anyone like this in your life? If so how have they contributed to your writing?
I actually don't have anyone "in real life" that reads my work. None of my friends or family are writers. Instead I share it with my critique partner, Cyn Balog (her debut, FAIRY TALE, comes out June 23.) She has really helped me throughout the years, whether it's brainstorming help or honest critiques!

Many teens dream of becoming authors. What advice would you give to writing teens?
Read voraciously and be willing to revise. The best thing you can do is find a critique partner or group and work at perfecting your craft. I have an agent and editor and yet I don't send them ANYTHING until a critique partner has gone through it!

Would you rather see Prada turned into a TV show or a movie?
Movie. I think it works really well with one solid story arc-- there's only so much you can do with a modern girl in 1815 before she would be fairly assimilated to their culture.

If you could cast anyone to play your characters what would your dream cast be?
I would love Taylor Momsen (Jenny in gossip girl) for Callie. For her english frend Emily, I think Emma Watson (of Harry Potter) would be awesome. Alex could be played by Justin Gaston-- he's in Taylor Swift's LOVE STORY video and he dresses just like Alex does, and he REALLY pulls it off. I'd also be okay with Robert Pattinson-- he has an english accent and everything. :-)

Besides writing and reading what else are you passionate about?
There are other things to be passionate about? hehe, kidding. Food. I am a total foodie. Also, horses and quads and music.

What are some of your favorite books?
Recent (or forthcoming) books:
HATE LIST (Brown)
A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL (Walker)
GOING TOO FAR (Echols)

Older work:
Z for Zachariah
True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

What are your favorite TV shows and/or movies?
TV:
THE DEADLIEST CATCH
THE OC
GOSSIP GIRL

Movies:
EMPIRE RECORDS
THE NOTEBOOK
SWEET HOME ALABAMA
13 GOING ON 30

Are you working on anything right now? If so, what and when can readers expect to see it in stores?
DRIVEN is my next official release-- its a romance novella due out from Harlequin in June 2010. I also have a number of YA projects in the works, and I hope to have more to share about that soon!

4 comments:

  1. Go, Mandy! I loved Prada and Prejudice, it was so fun. I have to agree with 13 going on 30...that movie is one of my faves, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, Mandy's so cute! I like her taste in books, too.

    great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Z for Zachariah soonish.

    My question for Mandy would be if she has any Prada heels of her own :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! I admit that I haven't read this yet, but it sound like it would be a great movie (and I love the cast Mandy picked out)!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...