Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

Callie is tired of being a clumsy geek-girl. So during a school trip to London she buys her ticket to popularity: a pair of real Prada pumps. But then she wobbles on the cobblestones, trips on her too-high heels, and conks her head. When she comes to, it’s the year 1815!

Luckily she meets kindhearted Emily, who mistakes Callie for a long-lost friend. Sparks soon ignite – of the nice and not-so-nice variety- between Callie and Alex, the handsome but totally arrogant Duke of Harksbury. Too bad Alex seems to have something sinister up his ruffled sleeve…

Can Callie save Emily from a dire engagement, win a kiss from Alex, and prove to herself that she’s more than just a loud-mouth klutz before her time in the past is up?


I stumbled (pun not intended) across Mandy Hubbard’s blog a little over a year ago. As soon as she told me about her debut novel Prada and Prejudice I knew that I had to read it. In addition to being a huge fan of Jane Austen, especially Pride and Prejudice, I also love novels set in Regency England, so it sounded perfect. And after following Mandy’s road to publication I was even more excited for Prada’s release, and it didn’t disappoint.

I fell head over heels for this book (pun intended) from the start. While Callie’s time in the 21st century was brief, I still felt like I got a chance to know her fairly well before she arrived in the 1800s. However, I didn’t get to know the supporting characters very well before hand. Even though they did not play a major role in the story, I think that ending would’ve been stronger if I had made more of a connection with the girls.

The inhabitants of the mansion, while appearing fairly one sided at the start, were wonderful. Emily, who was adorable, reminded me a lot of Lydia from Pride and Prejudice, bubbly and cute, but without much substance otherwise. However, as the story went on I began to learn more about her and her character began to become more complex and three dimensional. The same happened with the gorgeous duke, Alex, and uptight dowager, Victoria.

In addition to being cute, Prada was also incredibly funny. Callie’s klutzy personality, combined with her lack of knowledge about the customs of the era, made for a lot of hilarity. Callie, however, was not the only humorous character. To my surprise Emily also proved to be rather funny. Her refusal to accept Callie and Alex’s dislike of each other and consequently force them together earned many laughs.

Its relatively small page count is another bonus. It’s just long enough to tell the story in a satisfactory way, without dragging it out. Plus, it’s the perfect length and story for a lazy summer day when you just want to curl up with a good book.

Prada and Prejudice is a wonderful, light-hearted romance that I can see myself reading over and over again.

5 stars!

If you liked this, you may like: Saving Juliet by Suzanne Selfors or The Season by Sarah MacLean.

2 comments:

  1. Great review for an awesome book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the book...
    and i'm re-reading it again and again...
    and oh yeah...Alex the Duke is really hot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...