Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

A prodigal son

A dangerous love

A deadly secret . . .

I stood back and watched his movements. Daniel had that way about him that could shut me down in an instant. . . . I kicked the gravel a couple of times and worked up my courage again. “Tell me . . . I mean . . . why did you come back? Why now, after all this time?”

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul.

If I had to describe The Dark Divine in one word, it would be enthralling.

What I loved most about this book was that it was simple. There was never a time when it felt overly complicated or the weight of the mysteries became suffocating. The plot moved along at a smooth, natural place and Grace’s voice was perfect for narrating the story. Each conflict was presented at the opportune moment and in a way that allowed me to digest each curveball as they came.

When a book contains so much myth and legend it’s natural for some of story to be lost among everything that’s happening. With The Dark Divine, however, that never happened. Plot holes were few, if any, and there was never a time when I felt confused. Despain did a wonderful job of explaining the myths, legends, and mysteries so that the I was never left behind.

The chemistry between Grace and Daniel was the icing on the cake, ensuring that I was completely absorbed.

The Dark Divine is a wonderful debut novel, and yet another reason to look forward to December. Believe me, the wait is worth it.

5 Stars!

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this book! It sounds so great! I love the cover too, purple is one of my favorite colors. Nice review! Glad you liked it! :)

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great review!! I'm looking forward to getting my ARC this week and devouring the book. I was hooked on the first 17 pages Bree has posted on her site.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...