Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fire by Kristin Cashore

She is the last of her kind...

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her.

Officially, Fire serves as a prequel to Graceling. You don’t necessarily need to have read Graceling in order to understand Fire though. In my opinion, both of the books are perfectly good standalone novels.

Despite my opinion, I know that many will still try to compare the two. Let me just say that Fire and Graceling should not be compared. Fire, in comparison to Graceling, develops at a much slower pace. However, one must consider that Fire has far more key players and lacks an all encompassing central conflict. Rather than one main driving force, dozens of subplots entwine together to ultimately create the story.

In the beginning when each of these plots was being introduced, I’ll admit that the story lagged a bit. Once more of them began to appear and blossom, however, I was completely enthralled. Since Fire tackled such a broad range of conflicts, at any one time there was at least three plots developing, whether I knew it or not at the time. It was because of this constant development that I enjoyed Fire so much. For me, the story was a puzzle that needed to be solved. Each subplot fit together somehow, and it was up to me to figure out how.

This was a stunningly crafted novel and a wonderful read.

4 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. I recently reviewed this one on my blog too and I agree about the story lagging a bit in the beginning but it really grabbed me once I got into it! I haven't read Graceling but it's now on my to be read list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...