Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ratings Explained

Recently I've been thinking more about how I rate a book. A few months ago I posted a key to my ratings on the left hand sidebar, which I feel explains the sentiment behind each rating fairly well. However, that only explains what the rating means on the surface, there's so much more that goes into rating a book. So, I give you my ratings explained:

It's a 5 star book if...
  • I stay up all night reading because I can't put it down.
  • I think about reading the book whenever I'm forced to stop.
  • the story continues to play in my head long after I've finished reading.
  • I want to live the character's life.
  • I can't stop talking about the book.
  • I want to reread it the minute I turn the last page.
  • I find myself verbally responding to the book (i.e. shouting, mumbling, warning, etc).

It's a 4 star book if...

  • it captures my attention and can hold it.
  • the characters are relatable and I can imagine being friends with them.
  • I recommend it to my friends.
  • I can just bear to set it down, but not for too long.

It's a 3 star book if...

  • it's fun, but not phenomenal.
  • I'm mildly interested, but not consumed.
  • the plot is a bit too predictable.
  • I like the characters, but I don't develop any attachment.

It's a 2 star book if...

  • three pages feels like thirty.
  • skimming the book feels as rewarding as actually reading it.
  • the story is too quirky for my liking.
  • I just can't get into it.

It's a 1 star book if...

  • I sigh in relief when it ends.
  • there's no connection with the characters or story.
  • each chapter seems to stretch on ominously.
  • I just don't get it.
  • I'm left more confused at the end than I was in the beginning.
  • I want my time back when I finish.

There you have it, a snapshot at what goes through my mind when I'm rating a book. How do you decided on a book's rating?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...