It's a 5 star book if...
- I stay up all night reading because I can't put it down.
- I think about reading the book whenever I'm forced to stop.
- the story continues to play in my head long after I've finished reading.
- I want to live the character's life.
- I can't stop talking about the book.
- I want to reread it the minute I turn the last page.
- I find myself verbally responding to the book (i.e. shouting, mumbling, warning, etc).
It's a 4 star book if...
- it captures my attention and can hold it.
- the characters are relatable and I can imagine being friends with them.
- I recommend it to my friends.
- I can just bear to set it down, but not for too long.
It's a 3 star book if...
- it's fun, but not phenomenal.
- I'm mildly interested, but not consumed.
- the plot is a bit too predictable.
- I like the characters, but I don't develop any attachment.
It's a 2 star book if...
- three pages feels like thirty.
- skimming the book feels as rewarding as actually reading it.
- the story is too quirky for my liking.
- I just can't get into it.
It's a 1 star book if...
- I sigh in relief when it ends.
- there's no connection with the characters or story.
- each chapter seems to stretch on ominously.
- I just don't get it.
- I'm left more confused at the end than I was in the beginning.
- I want my time back when I finish.
There you have it, a snapshot at what goes through my mind when I'm rating a book. How do you decided on a book's rating?