Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, October 16, 2009

Birthday Extravaganza: Kimberly Pauley

Kimberly Pauley is the author of Sucks to be Me and the sequel, Still Sucks to be Me, which is still in the works.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What inspired you to write Sucks to Be Me?

Well, a few things. I had quit my corporate job to write full time (thanks, hubby for supporting me!) and I was working on a manuscript that was okay, but not really going anywhere fast. And I read this book (that shall remain nameless) and it tied into the whole Dracula thing. And got stuff wrong. It annoyed me. A few nights later, I was thinking about how most vampire books are all the same (you know, blood & guts, vampire slayers, unwilling victims, dark & macabre, sexy aristocratic vamps…) and thought it would be fun to turn all that upside down. The first paragraph I wrote that night (probably around 2 AM) and then it just kept coming.

How did you select your characters' names?

Mina was easy, since she’s named after the character in Dracula. Some were named for character traits and others were kind of random. George is named after my old typewriter. Yes, you read that right. J When I was a teenager I had an old school typewriter that I loved to bang around on. clickety-clickety-clack and all that. And I called it George. I have no idea why.
If you could bring any one character from your book to life who would it be and why? Uncle Mortie, probably. Since the world needs more unabashedly crazy uncles.

What can you tell readers about Still Sucks to Be Me?

The revisions are done! Woot! Wait, you probably meant plot-wise, huh? Well, in the beginning of the book, Mina’s life is once more under a great deal of upheaval and she’s not liking it at all. The VRA is relocating the family and she feels like she’s losing everything. Then she gets to their new location and things just aren’t what she expected, old enemies pop up…

Is writing your second book harder or easier?

I think writing the sequel was a little harder, partly because you’ve got the weight of expectations on you. I’ve had a lot of people write me with what they think ought to be in the book and who should be in it and what should happen to them. And a lot of it isn’t in the book, partly because I don’t think anyone else thought of going where the book goes. But I mostly just concentrated on staying true to the characters (i.e. What Would Mina Do in such and such a situation). I like how it turned out. It’s got a lot more action in it, and some danger as well, though the humor is still there. I hope people like it too.

Who would be your dream cast for Sucks to Be Me?

I have such a hard time with this question. I see people and then see them in another movie and go, eh….Like the girl who plays Bella. Back before she was cast in that, I actually thought she’d make a good Mina (based on her performance in Zathura). But now that’s been Bella, I don’t think it would work. There are some actors I’ve seen with the right look, but not necessarily the right style, if that makes sense. I’m still searching. I post who I find in my blog every now and then. And I’m always looking for suggestions!

What’s one thing you can’t live without while writing (food, song, etc)?

Oh, hmmmmmmm. If I listen to music, I listen to pretty mellow stuff, like Morcheeba. I don’t really have a favorite food for writing and I mostly stick to water or sometimes tea. Geez, that’s boring. I need to spice up my life, eh?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Kimberly!

Now it's time for a giveaway. Kimberly has donated a copy of Sucks to be Me for a giveaway. Just leave a comment with your name and email by midnight EST on October 24.

16 comments:

  1. Wow! great interview... she likes Morcheeba? ahaha cool.. I wait reading this book, this look sooo cool and funny,
    please count me in

    Katia
    morsmordre_k(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, I really want to read Sucks to be Me!

    Kelsey
    kelseythebookscout at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I would absolutely love to be entered!

    :) Erica
    thebookcellar@wi.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! Count me in please

    Raelena
    throuthehaze at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to play please!

    Lesley
    lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, I love Mina from Dracula. Who knew she was Vlad's idea of reincarnation?

    Please count me in!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to be included! tWarner419@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Post. Please count me in.

    cindyc725 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to enter!

    Jo
    Email: joannestapley[at]googlemail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a really good and funny book! Please enter me!

    Sara
    sosarora_11(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the interview. I really enjoy your site. It made me discover new books and writers.

    I'd love to read this book!

    Stephanie
    webgrrrrl(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool post!!!

    i hope i win

    soccer_chick.11(at)hotmail(dot)com

    suzette

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of this author, but now I'm intrigued. Count me in!

    n_monzyk_27@yahoo.com

    Natalie @ Mindful Musings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Interview, it was cute & funny.

    This book looks amazing, cant wait to read it.:)

    -Dani
    lightningstreak123@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please enter me!

    MD
    mdfitz85[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  16. this one looks so good!!

    Jordan

    jmoose09@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...