Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Former Flame Friday (1)

This week I'm instigating a new bi-weekly feature on Chick Lit Teens, Former Flame Fridays.

We all have them. Those books we used to love and remember fondly. Every other week I will be posting a review of one of my "former flames." These are books I read pre-blogging, but love so much I just have to share them with you.

Mermaid Park by Beth Mayall

Sixteen-year-old Amy dreads her family vacation. With her new stepfather in the picture, life feels like one big disappointment . . . until Amy discovers Mermaid Park, an old tourist spot where girls dressed in fabulous costumes perform underwater shows. When Amy sees "mermaids" gliding through the water, she is utterly captivated, convinced that if she could become one of them, the rest of her life could be just as beautiful.

This book was truly gorgeous. Not only are both of the covers beautiful but the characters, the story, and the message are all equally beautiful.
Mermaid Park was nothing like I expected and I loved it even more because of that. It's the opposite of a simple fun and flirty beach tale, it's a breathtaking coming of age story full of secrets and teen angst. Amy is the type of girl you immediatley relate to, her voice is so real and compelling that you can't help but sympathize with her.

I will admit that the ending leaves something to be desired, but I wouldn't want it any other way. This book isn't all flowery and the bittersweet ending was a perfect fit in my opinion.

If you haven't read Mermaid Park yet, do it now. The story is so achingly real and beautiful, that you'll be happy you read it.

5 Stars!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...