Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Behind the Binding (1)

Behind the Binding (can you tell I like alliterations?) is a new semi-weekly feature that tells my own personal anecdotes about various books on my shelves. The idea came to me when I realized that a lot of the books I own have back stories to them. How did I find out about the book? Why did I decide to read it? Where was I while reading it?

That said, for the next few weeks I'm going to be giving the feature a trial run and seeing how you guys like it. If it's a "yay" then I'll keep it going, if it's a "neigh" then I'll put it to rest.

This week, with The Twilight Saga: New Moon being released, I've decided to tell a few cute back stories about New Moon.

------------------------------

A few years back, right around the release of New Moon, I was just starting to dabble in YA. The only problem was that I was having trouble finding new books to read. Unlike now, when I just open up Goodreads or walk through the doors of Barnes and Noble and immediately see 3-4
books I wanted to read, back then I researched books. And I don't mean I just looked around, I
spent hours scouring Amazon Listmanias for books to read.

One night, rather late might I add, I came across a random book. Something called New Moon (remember at this time it was virtually unknown). The cover was pretty and the book sounded...interesting. Unfortunately, vampires weren't really my thing.

Nevertheless, I decided to show my older sister. Upon hearing that it was about vampires she went into a frenzy, telling me I could absolutely not read it (paranormal romance was not big for people our age, especially not vampire books). So, being a true little sister, I threatened to read the book for about a week and a half just to harass her, but I never actually did.

A few years later, guess who was the first person in my family to read New Moon and, consequently, forced me to read it? That's right, my older sister. Ironic much?

--------------------------------

Now one more funny story about New Moon, if you're not too bored with me yet.

About two years ago I went to my first ever author event, Libba Bray and Shannon Hale. As a part of the event they gave away various books. The very last prize was an ARC of The Host. As soon as Stephanie Meyer's name was announced everyone began cheering wildly. Now, I had no idea who the heck she was, so I just stood in the corner staring at them like they were crazy.

Then, at the end of the event we were all given gift bags. One of the gifts was a Twilight Saga poster and New Moon tattoos. Having no idea what they were, I figured I'd give them away, only no one wanted them.

In hindsight, I find it hilarious that at the time I couldn't find anyone who wanted a poster from Twilight. Now, I bet I could find at least 5 girls at any given moment who'd take it off my hands. Funny how things can change in only a few years.

-----------------------------

Enjoy New Moon!

P.S. Can you guess what tattoos I'll be wearing to the midnight premiere tonight (don't ask how I got roped into it)?

4 comments:

  1. That's a funny story! I really like the idea of these posts because often I wonder why people chose to read the book they are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked idea! Funny because I had a bunch of then gr 9 students tell me to read the Twilight Saga and I was like naaa... then I read them and I'm still naaa... about them.

    On a similar line, I read the Hunger Games long before anybody freaked over it. Then I told my library to get it. Nobody took it out for really long, months in fact. Then bam! everybody wanted a copy. I think we have 4 now and they won't stay on the shelf. Somebody told me to read them about a month ago and I had to laugh so hard. I had read both books before anybody knew what hit them. Love the books! Can't wait for the third.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great if you can remember back why you read a book. Great idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea for a post! Very orginal and something I'd love to hear about as well. Some books I read just because they sound good but others I get to in a pretty weird way.

    I say keep the idea and run with it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...