Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Shadowland by Alyson Noël

At the start of this breathtaking novel, Damen and Ever travel to Summerland in search of an antidote to reverse a powerful poison. But instead of the cure they seek, they find something far more sinister: the truth about their existence and the fate lying in wait of an immortal’s soul.

Now, with Damen fighting to save them from the Shadowland, Ever turns to magick, hoping to break Damen’s curse. Along the way Ever encounters the mysterious Jude, finding herself drawn to him in a way that will test her love for Damen like never before . . .

My original plan was to review all of the books in The Immortals series as they came out. However, upon reading Blue Moon, that plan went out the window. I could not find a way to put my thoughts on the book into words. In the presence of so many surprising curveballs and shockers, I couldn’t even begin to formulate a coherent review. My hope is to get back on track by reviewing the third book, Shadowland. So let’s see how it goes this time.

Once again, Alyson Noël has jam packed the novel with so much activity. However, unlike the other two, the pace slowed a bit for this novel. While the first novel was all about setting the story and the second was a continuation of that, setting up the greater plot, this one focused more on Ever and Damen. It really gave an in depth look at both characters – their pasts, presents, and the outlook of their futures. The development didn’t stop there though; it also focused on their relationship. After everything that happened in the first and second books, there wasn’t a lot of time to expand on their relationship. With the slower pace of this novel, however, Noël was able to do just that. This book really sets the tone of their relationship, intensifying the connection and making it sing. The spark from the first two books is transformed into a smoldering flame that is impossible to not get drawn into.

Continuing the trend of development, Shadowland also answered many of the questions I’d been asking, and more. From the value of their souls to where they go when it’s all over to the future of their relationship, everything is explored and expanded upon. It is probably this aspect that truly made this novel my favorite in the series thus far. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of action and suspense. But in all honesty, I’m that annoying person you dread sitting next to at the movies. I question, I point out plot holes and flaws, and I predict what’s going to happen from the get go. So when an author takes the time to examine some of the little discrepancies I love it.

Finally, I will never – no matter how many of her books I read – be able to anticipate Noël’s constant surprises. How she can come up with so many unseen, shocking twists I’ll never know. She is a master at leaving the reader wanting more. Summer 2010 is far too long a wait for the next installment in Ever and Damen’s adventures.

If you haven’t read this series yet, I highly suggest you do so now. With the plot and characters improving book by book, there’s nowhere for this series to go but up.

5 Stars!

4 comments:

  1. i cant wait for the next book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. is there one after it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. It's called 'Dark Flame'. I'm reading it now(:

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...