Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Chick Chat: Bonnie Doerr

Bonnie Doerr is the author of Island Sting, in stores January 6, 2010. For more information about Bonnie and/or Island Sting visit her website.

-----------------------------------

What was your road to publication like?

Long. Very, very long. Then lucky. Very, very lucky. After years of studying the craft and submitting (when my ego was strong enough to withstand rejection) the fates took pity on me. An editor for a regional publisher found my first manuscript on a table in the conference room of a college where I taught. She loved it and thus began the crawl forward to Island Sting and international publication.

What inspired you to write Island Sting?

Passionate, caring teens who desire a better world together with my love of nature, wildlife, and the stunning, fragile environment of the Florida Keys.

Many teens dream of becoming authors.

What advice would you give to aspiring teen authors?

You know, I always hesitate to answer this question. I’ve been out of the advice-giving business for a few years. But if I must, I advise all aspiring teen authors to apply for a Hogwarts scholarship. Upon winning said prize, an award as likely for one as another to win, they must aspire to excellent wandmanship, and ace both Charms and Potions. Truthfully, study the craft of writing relentlessly. Be brave and develop other interests and many friends. Do not isolate yourself. Writing can be a lonely business.

Which one of your characters do you relate to most? Why?

I would like to be like Kenzie Ryan, an impetuous, fearless champion of the environment who is also a little bit sneaky. But I am far too chicken to jump into danger. Perhaps that’s why I choose to write about it instead. But I also admire the independent, quirky character Fisher. He lives life by his own rules quietly watching over his island home and asking for nothing in return.

Would you rather see your book turned into a TV show or a movie?

A TV show. I imagine endless adventures with the same intrepid teens. Oh, and I love reruns! And Tivo. If you could cast anyone to play your characters what would your dream cast be? I would love for a casting agent to find brand new talent—provide two hard-working teens (a dashingly responsible boy and athletically feminine girl) a springboard for their skills.

Besides writing and reading what else are you passionate about?

You can probably guess by my subject matter that I am passionate about the environment and my love of gardening is a manifestation of that zeal. I can’t fix the world, but I can improve my little part of it. I would shrivel and die if I had to go more than two days without being outdoors.

What’s next for you?

A second green teen adventure, Stakeout, will be released in January of 2011. Stakeout follows Kenzie and Angelo as they track a vicious gang that threatens to wipe out the sea turtle population on their island home.

-----------------------------------

Interested? Watch the trailer now:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the honor of featuring Island Sting on your blog. I enjoyed the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...