Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fallen by Lauren Kate

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret... even if it kills her.

To sum up my reaction to Fallen in one word: underwhelmed.

I went into this book not expecting much, as I generally do. The prologue was wonderful – snappy and intriguing – and for a moment I got really excited about the book. When the first chapter started though, those hopes came crashing down. The first few chapters were filled with introductions and a lot personal reflection, as would be expected at that time in the book. My first assumption was that once Luce got settled into the school it would pick right back up again. Only it didn’t. The greater portion of the book is a lot of exposition and little explanation.

The basic plot of the book is fairly clear from the get go. You can sense where it’s going early on, but whenever it seemed the rising actions were going to start up and begin carrying the story in that direction, the story would lag again. These little sparks of interest that were provided were kept confined, as if they were single instances. They were separated by long stretches of half-interesting dialogue and Luce’s daily trials at Sword & Cross. It was like trying to follow a lead, only to come to dead end after dead end.

Even now, I’m not quite sure what the problem with the book was. Was it Luce? Was it Daniel? Was it the somewhat dull, dreary setting? Or was it was a cocktail of small flaws? I wish I could tell you, but I honestly can’t pin it down. For a meandering book with lots of inner dialogue, it’s good. But for the suspenseful dark mystery that the prologue and synopsis seemed to have promised, it was a bit of a flop.

What I will say, however, is that the story did get better near the end. If you can make it through the copious amounts of internal monologues and exposition, there is a reward. All you have to do is make it there.

2.5 Stars

Received from: Around the World Tours

17 comments:

  1. Glad to read a very honest review on this book ^^ I want to give it a try though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the fence about this one, I'm glad for your review! Your amazing blog has a blog award on my page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and honest review!
    I still haven't decided whether I want to read this one or not; like Hush Hush, I had high expectations, but then the reviews came and I'm not so sure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to read it though. For some reason, I'm not entirely convinced until I've read something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that many people have been "underwhelmed" by this book. I was so eager to read it, but now I'm not anymore... well, I still think I'm going to read it and judge for myself, but it might not be the next book I pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it won't be very high up on my tbr when I can read it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that different people have different points of views about this book. I also believe that you shouldn't rely too much on book reviews because the person who reviews it might not have the same likes and dislikes as you do. Lastly I would like to say that if you have an interest in the book and want to read it, go ahead and read it. Don't really rely on what the reviews say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am about 2/3 of the way through Fallen and while it has been a page turner I am not as excited as I thought I would be. I do like the main character a whole lot more than the main girl in Hush Hush though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i completely agree... about the whole ' don't jugde a book by its review thing' ... and i do think that the whole 'forbidden love thing ' or 'everlasting love' thing is getting pretty old.... we need hot new characters with DIFFERENT story's ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that sucks! and i went out of my way to buy it, too....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say I agree too. It was rather dull and I was expecting more out of it then comes the end and it is intriguing until it ends. I doubt very much that I am intrigued to get the second installment. I was disappointed with it. and did anyone else catch the few spelling errors and puncuation?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i read the book and thought that if i could get that high in stores i wouldn't really care as long as i did the best i though i could...i thought it was far better than other books that i have read...well done lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED IT! it was amazing, there were time though that i was like omg! have some self respect and ignore Daniel! But other than that the book was great, even better than Twilight saga!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just bought fallen because i thought it sounded interesting. you are right it did drag on and on and on until the end. this book took me a week to read and there was alot of thing that went unexplained. but the second in the series torment i have to say is worth reading fallen. it just took me one day to read it i could not put it down and i cant wait for the third to come in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! I was about to buy this book. I thought it was a great book judging by the cover of it. But i don't think i'll buy it now..

    ReplyDelete
  16. i agree but cut the lady some slack

    ReplyDelete
  17. that bitch i hated it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...