Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Chick Chat: Cheryl Renee Herbsman

Today I have an interview with Cheryl Renee Herbsman, author of Breathing. Before we get to the interview, here's a bit about Breathing:

Savannah would be happy to spend the summer in her coastal Carolina town working at the library and lying in a hammock reading her beloved romance novels. But then she meets Jackson. Once they lock eyes, she’s convinced he’s the one—her true love, her soul mate, a boy different from all the rest. And at first it looks like Savannah is right. Jackson abides by her mama’s strict rules, and stays by her side during a hospitalization for severe asthma, which Savannah becomes convinced is only improving because Jackson is there. But when he’s called away to help his family—and seems uncertain about returning—Savannah has to learn to breathe on her own, both literally and figuratively.

You can find more information on both Cheryl and Breathing on her website and/or blog.

-----------------------------------

Did you always want to be an author? If so why? If not what did you want to be?

When I was in school, I planned to become a psychologist for children. I majored in psychology as an undergraduate and got my master's degree in clinical psychology.

Is being an author what you expected?

I didn't realize how much time I'd be spending on marketing and publicity,but I feel grateful for being a published author every day!

What inspired you to write Breathing?

Breathing is inspired by my own teen romance with an older boy with whom I had a long-distance relationship. We've been married twenty years now, which explains why Savannah is such a hopeFUL romantic.

What was your road to publication like?

Before writing Breathing, I wrote a young adult fairytale/fantasy. I faced a lot of rejection on that manuscript, which was devastating at times. But I learned a lot about both the craft and business end of writing and publishing. So when Breathing was ready to send out, it sold very quickly.

With Breathing being set in the south, what kind of research did you do prior to writing?

I grew up in North Carolina, but in an area less rural than where Savannah lives. In the summers, my family would always go to the Carolina beaches, so I knew the setting well. But just to be sure :) I took my family from California to the Carolina beaches for a little "research" trip.

I also studied everything I could find about Southern expressions, which was a lot of fun.

Which character from Breathing do you feel you relate to the most?

I'm the most like Savannah -- stubborn, a hopeful romantic, a dreamer.

Would you rather see your book turned into a TV show or a movie?

I'd love to see it made into a movie.

If you could cast anyone to play your characters who would your dream cast be?

My dream would be for Dakota Fanning to play Savannah. Lucas Till might make a really good Jackson.

Besides writing, what else are you passionate about?

My family, the beach, music, warm, sunny weather :) and chocolate.

If you could meet any fictional character who would it be?

Too many to choose from! I couldn't possibly limit it to one choice.

What's next for you?

I'm working on a new young adult novel. But it's too early to say too much about it :)

-----------------------------------

Thank you so much for the interview Cheryl!

3 comments:

  1. Great interview. It's always fun to know what the book is based off of. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :)
    Thank you for the interview with Cheryl Renee Herbsman & thanks to Cheryl for sharing here. I liked learning a bit more about her & her writing. I wonder if Cheryl`s on Twitter.
    :)
    All the best,
    RKCharron

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...