Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Chick Chat: Kristin Walker

Today I have an interview with Kristin Walker, the author of the newly released A Match Made in High School. Here's a bit about the book:

When a mandatory marriage education course forces Fiona to “try the knot” with super-jock Todd Harding, she’s convinced life couldn't get any worse. Until her crush is paired with her arch enemy (otherwise known as Todd’s obscenely hot, slightly sadistic girlfriend). But that’s nothing compared to her best friend’s fate – a year with the very goofy, very big Johnny Mercer.

A series of hilarious pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.

I've only just begun reading A Match Made in High School, but thus far I'm really enjoying it. If you want to find out more about Kristin or her book simply visit her (extremely cute) website.

--------------------

Why did you decide to write YA?

I'd been trying for so long to get published in the children's book market, but I'd exhausted every age-range genre from picture books to middle grade novels. I decided that young adult was the next (and most promising-looking) arena, so I gave it a shot. I'd never written anything that long before, so I was pretty proud of myself when I finished that first, very rough draft.

Did your own high school experience influence your book at all? If so, how?

Yes! I was a cheerleader in high school, so I pulled a lot of details from that experience and used them in the book. I also was a big geeky dork with only one or two close friends, so I translated those characteristics easily to Fiona.

Which one of your characters do you relate to the most?

Fiona, for sure. But I didn't develop such a smart mouth until I was an adult. I wish I'd had Fiona's ballsy attitude when I was a teenager, though. I also relate very well to her stubbornness and insecurities. And her occasional self-absorbency. (That sounds like an ad for maxi-pads.)

What are some of your favorite books?

I get asked this all the time, and it's impossible to choose! I love the Anne of Green Gables series and the Harry Potter series. For YA, GODLESS by Pete Hautman is amazing. In adult, I really loved THE ACCORDION CRIMES by Annie Proulx and COLD MOUNTAIN by Charles Frazier.

But my latest, mind-blowingly-awesome favorite is THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak.

If you could meet any author from any time period, who would you choose and what would you ask them?

I'd love to sit down with Mark Twain and a bottle of bourbon. I think he'd be a riot after a few drinks. I get the feeling I'd just have to ask, "So, how was your trip?" and he'd tell hilarious stories all night.

I'd also love to meet JK Rowling to gush like a fangirl, and then mercilessly grill her about her plotting technique. I know she's from this time period, but really, I have about as much chance of meeting her than I do of meeting Twain.

Outside of writing, what are you passionate about?
My family. Delicious food. Funny films. Unaffordable real estate. Bad reality TV. Good reality TV. TV on a whole, really. And of course, reading remarkable books.

What advice would you give to aspiring teen authors?

Write copious amounts, even if it's just volumes of crap. You'll get better. And focus on the details, especially when writing about your own personal history. Don't gloss over the details. They bring the page to life.

What’s next for you?

Well, I have to make dinner and I should probably shower some time today. Oh! You don't mean directly next. Sorry.

I'm working on a middle grade paranormal manuscript and trying to develop something new in young adult for Razorbill. Wish me luck! Wish me luck with cooking dinner too, because I haven't been to the grocery store in forever.

---------------------------

Thank you Kristin!

2 comments:

  1. The book sounds fun and Kristin sounds like a funny person. I love the cover too. I will try to pick this up! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this one! I've heard so many great things about it, and the author seems hilarious.

    Emidy
    Une Parole

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...