Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chick Chat: Kate O'Hegarty

Kate O'Hegarty is the author of the upcoming ebook Mieradome. For more information on Kate and Mieradome you can visit her blog.

----------------------------------

Can you tell us a bit about
Mieradome?

Certainly! Mieradome is a story about how our parents’ choices affect our lives and if we can break free from that. Amavia, the main character of the story, finds out she is a faery and deals with gossip and anger from everyone around her; as she discovers she may not be a good faery after all.

Why did you decide to write YA?

I decided to write YA because I seem to relate more to characters in that age group. Being not much older, (I’m currently 27 years old), I can connect to similar feelings of love, loss, family, friends, etc. The YA realm opens itself up to fantasy so well, when young minds still daydream and imagine creative stories. It is a great genre to jump in and share new ideas.

Which one of your characters do you relate to most? Why?

I think I relate most to Prince Boyt because I am slender (like he is) and also a super duper klutz! Honestly, I think you need special skills to trip and bang yourselves into walls more than once like I do! But other than that, Prince Boyt has a tendency to fear the unknown. I do too. I think I fear success just as much as I fear failure. But just like myself, Prince Boyt keeps trying even when things get hard. We both know a new situation is just another place for growth and to gain knowledge. It’s about continuing on the journey even when things get difficult.

If you could bring any literary character to life, who would you choose?

Oh man! This is a tough one! I guess I would have to say Mary Boleyn (and yes, I’m well aware that she was a real person.) So many stories, television, and films have depicted her life, such as Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl, in which the movie with Natalie Portman & Scarlett Johannsen, was based; and also The Tudors TV show on Showtime with perdita Weeks playing her. I wish I could sit down with Mary and ask if Henry Carey (her supposed child with William Carey) was his or actually King Henry VIII’s child. Mary Boleyn, in fact, is my maternal 18th Great-Grandmother. In that respect, it would be very interesting to see where I come from, how my own past affects my now.

Besides writing and reading, what are you passionate about?

Genealogy! I love to know where and who I came from; who came before me, what things I can learn from their successes and their failures. Some of the cool people I’ve found attached to my family tree are: Gov. William Bradford (my maternal 14th Great Grandfather and the originator of Thanksgiving), Bill Kreutzmann (drummer of the Grateful Dead, my Dad’s 2nd cousin), Niall of the Nine Hostages & Brian Boru (two High Kings of Ireland, 30 & 35th great-grandfathers), Geoffrey Chaucer (author of The Canterbury Tales) is a Great Uncle way down the line somewhere. The list goes on and on.

What is your favorite adjective? Why?

Imaginative! I definitely love that word because it's the essence of what I do every day and I am inspired by many things around me. My mum & my Grandfather both worked together on the Star Tours ride at Disneyland. My mum did the air conditioning. Every time I go there to Disneyland and walk around the park, I look around for the creative spirit, and I always find it, when I go on that ride especially. Disneyland helps us peel away the excess and just be. Be creative and imaginative, happy and free, with no boundaries. That's what I try to do in my own writing as well.

What’s next for you?

I have the sequel to Mieradome almost completed, just have to finish the ending. Haven’t quite picked a title for that one yet, but I think there’s still time to decide! After the sequel is published I would love to publish my Bachelor’s thesis about my maternal 3rd Great Aunt who was a madam in Deadwood, South Dakota, to dispel the myths surrounding her life, such as Larry McMurtry’s book, Buffalo Girls, written about her life and friendship with Calamity Jane. A photograph of my Great Aunt can be found here: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/SD-DeadwoodPaintedLadies2.html

----------------------------------

Thanks Kate!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I didn't know there was going to be a sequel for Mieradome. Can't wait to find out more about it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...