Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chick Chat: Lindsey Leavitt

Today I have an interview with Lindsey Leavitt, the author of the wonderful Princess for Hire. Now, this is an extra special interview because a) Lindsey was one of the first authors I ever connected with when I first started my blog (the other being Mandy Hubbard) and b) today is the release of Princess for Hire!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Princess for Hire, here is a bit about the novel:


When a flawlessly dressed woman steps out of an iridescent bubble and wants to know, like, now if you’d like to become a substitute princess, do you

a) run
b) faint
c) say Yes!
For Desi Bascomb, who’s been longing for a bit of glamour in her Idaho life, the choice is a definite C–that is, once she can stop pinching herself. As her new agent Meredith explains, Desi has a rare magical ability: when she applies the ancient Egyptian formula “Royal Rouge,” she can transform temporarily into the exact lookalike of any princess who needs her subbing services. Dream come true, right?
Well, Desi soon discovers that subbing involves a lot more than wearing a tiara and waving at cameras. Like, what do you do when a bullying older sister puts you on a heinous crash diet? Or when the tribal villagers gather to watch you perform a ceremonial dance you don’t know? Or when a princess’s conflicted sweetheart shows up to break things off–and you know she would want you to change his mind?
In this hilarious, winning debut, one girl’s dream of glamour transforms into something bigger: the desire to make a positive impact. And an impact Desi makes, one royal fiasco at a time.
You can see my thoughts on the book by reading my review here. And if you want to learn more about Lindsey or the very pink, very funny Princess for Hire, you can visit her website here.

-----------------

Did you always want to be an author? If so why? If not what did you want to be? 

No and yes. I mean, sure, being an author sounded great, but so did being a stand-up comedian and an ice cream scooper. It was a nice idea, but not something I seriously thought I could do.
I did know I wanted to work with kids so I went into elementary teaching. It was while sharing literature with my students that I really started to consider writing. Even after that, it took me a good two or three years before I picked up a pen. Taking a chance is scary, but of course I’m glad I finally did.
Still dreaming about the ice cream gig, though. Would be great exercise for my forearms.

What was your road to publication like? 

Pretty standard, I think. I wrote some crappy stories and got some curt rejections.  I cried. I wrote some mediocre stories and got some thoughtful rejections. I wailed. Then I wrote the story that had voice and marketability and lots of publisher interest. I bawled. Overall, it was five years from the time I really started to pursue this dream to now, when it’s actually coming true.

What are you looking forward to most about being a published author? 

It’s probably a clich├ęd answer, but I can’t wait to walk into a store and see my book on a shelf. Bookstores have always been Sacred Ground to me, so it’s crazy and wonderful that I’ll be a part of that world.

Would you rather see your book turned into a TV show or a movie? 

Movie! Not only do I love buttered popcorn, but I promised my daughters we’d get pedicures and new dresses if I ever had a premiere. I hope it happens soon, actually, because my feet are pretty hammered right now.

If you could cast anyone to play your characters who would your dream cast be? 

I’m a loser because I’ve only really thought of two characters, but they are the most important! (I can email you pics if you want)

Desi—Alex Winter from MODERN FAMILY. She’s not twenty four like lots of actresses playing teens, and she has excellent comedic timing.

Meredith—Emily Blunt or Jada Pinket Smith. Yes, they totally look different, but I purposefully didn’t describe Meredith in too much detail, save it be the green hair and petite frame. Both these actresses work because they have the necessary mix of attitude and grace.

What’s your favorite adjective and why? 

Mischievous. The V makes the word literally sound like it’s meaning. And I have a thing for guys who fit this description.

Besides writing and reading what else are you passionate about? 

My family, of course. I also love sports—playing and watching. If I could hold a kid on one hip, swing a racket with one hand and stick a book in the other, I’d be in heaven. Oh, and maybe use a foot to eat something truly scrumptious. I’d wear socks, of course.

What’s next for you?

Well, it’s 12:30 so I’m thinking about getting in the shower and maybe toasting a bagel for lunch. I wonder if we still have strawberry cream cheese…
Oh, like in writing? I have two books coming out next year—the next installment in the PRINCESS FOR HIRE series and a YA contemporary SEAN GRISWOLD’S HEAD. 
-----------------

Thank you Lindsey! I hope that you all enjoyed the interview and that you enjoy Princess for Hire as well.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds like so much fun, I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read PRINCESS FOR HIRE--great interview!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...