Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent


**May contain spoilers, read My Soul to Take first**

“If she were going to die, I’d already be screaming. I’m a banshee. That’s what we do.”

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad’s ironclad curfew and putting her boyfriend’s loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls for a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld — a consequence they can’t possibly understand. Kaylee can’t let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk....

My Soul to Save had a lot going for it from the start – a fresh storyline, lingering interest from book one, the highly unique over-arcing storyline of the series, and much more. I was looking forward to learning more about Kaylee’s powers and seeing her develop more in this second installment.

Shortly into the book, when the new storyline is introduced, my interest was peaked even further. Vincent has created an interesting new mission for Kaylee, as well as set the stage for a great emotional struggle. There were clear barriers set up to hold Kaylee back and lines she’d have to cross to obtain her goal, as well as moral issues she’d have to tackle. It seemed that this book was going to be a great improvement upon the already strong first book.

Vincent continued to surprise me with curveballs in the story and investigated a lot of the elements that I was interested in. The plot has the making of a great story and Vincent did everything to mold it into that. Even so, she never did anything to mend some of my biggest issues with My Soul to Take. Because of this, I found it difficult to enjoy the story that Vincent created. Kaylee was still not reacting and her character had remained static. All of her previous fears and lingering doubts were still there, and remained there for the course of the novel. After enduring everything that she’d already gone through, as well as the new struggles she was presented with, I really wanted to see her grow. Yes, she rose to the occasion, but there was nothing going on beneath the surface of her decisions. Throughout the entire novel I once again found it hard to connect with Kaylee, and it ultimately deterred me from enjoying the novel.

If anything, Tod, one of the minor characters, has grown the most in these two books. He’s quickly become my favorite, eclipsing Kaylee early on in the series. His situation, already being unique, in combination with the emotional gauntlet he endures in My Soul to Save has made him shine. He truly stole the stage in this novel. I’ll read the next novel just to see more of him.

In short, while highly interesting in theory, My Soul the Save held many of the same flaws as its predecessor. However, I wouldn’t let these flaws stop you from enjoying what is otherwise a perfectly respectable novel.

3.5 Stars 

Source: Big Honcho Media (for contest)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...