Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Chick Chat: Alex Bell

Alex Bell is the author of Lex Trent Versus the Gods. You can find out more about Alex and her novel by visiting her website. Here's a bit about the novel:

Law student Lex Trent’s world is inhabited by fearsome magicians, ageing crones and a menagerie of Gods and Goddesses.

And while Lex is seemingly dedicated to his legal studies he’s always enjoyed a challenge – which is why he leads a double life as the notorious cat burglar ‘The Shadowman’ who has been (luckily) evading capture for years.

But Lex’s luck is about to run out, because the Goddess of Fortune has selected him to be her player in the highly dangerous Games. Losing is not an option for Lex (particularly as it so often involves dying) but can he really win each of the perilous rounds?

Given that the reward for doing so is money, fame and glory – all things that Lex is quite keen on – he’s going to do whatever it takes to make sure he will… and he’s certainly got good experience of cheating.


-----------------------

Describe Lex Trent Versus the Gods in five words or less.

Sneaky thief beating the odds.

What inspired you to write Lex Trent Versus the Gods?

I was in my second year of a Law degree and almost dying from boredom. Lex was born out of my own desire to run away from lectures, and the legal profession in general.

Why did you decide to write YA?

Lex came into my head as a teenager so it made sense that the book should be YA. I also really wanted to get a comic fantasy published, and had already written an adult one but although a lot of the publishers I sent it to said that they liked it, they didn't want to publish comic fantasy at the time. I thought the YA market might be more receptive to the idea.

What was your road to publishing like?

Fairly straightforward compared to some of the other authors I know but I finished my first novel when I was 17 and spent two years sending that out - as well as lots of short stories and two other novels - before I finally got my agent. So I did go through the horrible rejection phase as well!

Which one of your characters do you identify with the most?

Probably Lex. Awful as he can sometimes be (and I would hope that I'm not quite as selfish as him!) a lot of his feelings about being a law student, and his grandfather's illness, come directly out of my own experience. I think everyone would like to behave like Lex at times but our sense of responsibility keeps us from doing so. It's a lot of fun to write a character who is not constrained by any of that!

Besides writing and reading what else are you passionate about?

Politics, Great Danes, Siamese cats, vegan high heels, Treacle Moon products, and animal rights. And vegetarian haggis.

What's next for you?

A second Lex Trent book is scheduled to come out early next year. It involves another Game with even more dangerous rounds and even tougher opponents. And in this one Lex finally meets his match in the form of his new companion - an outlaw cowboy called Jesse who comes in very handy in a scrape but gives as good as he gets where Lex is concerned!

-----------------------

Thank you, Alex!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds interesting! There's not many YA books with main characters in college or high school and I think there should be because college students are young adults.

    I really like the cover too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...