Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Heidi R Kling's Sea Launch Party

Yesterday evening I was fortunate enough to be able to drive out to Palo Alto for the launch party for Heidi R Kling's debut novel Sea. The party was hosted be Not Your Mother's Book Club at the Palo Alto Books Inc. It was an absolute blast, and I am so happy that I was able to be there for it.

I met Heidi a little over a year ago on Twitter. I'd heard a bit about her book in the blogosphere, and after I began talking with her online it immediately became one of my most anticipated releases of the year. Luckily, I was able to get an ARC for a Traveling to Teens tour. If you couldn't tell by my review last week, I absolutely adored the novel. It's one of my favorite books ever, and Heidi is one of my favorite authors.I'm so proud of both Heidi and Sea, and am happy I was able to be there to celebrate its release.

The party began informally with some Indonesian cuisine and mingling. There were also other Sea-themed foods, such as orange cream soda and blue cupcakes decorated with sea creatures and, of course, orange converse. While we ate, Rachael from Book Love Teen and I congratulated Heidi on the release of her novel and chit chatted with some of the other book lovers there. Most of Heidi's family had come into town for the event, so we were able to meet a lot of them. Her family was incredibly sweet, and super funny.

After everyone had eaten and Heidi had done a mini-signing for those who had to leave early, everyone took their seats for the formal portion of the evening. Heidi read two great selections from Sea, and spoke a little bit about her journey to becoming a published author.

During the Q&A session, I learned many things about the making of Sea that I had not known beforehand. For one thing, in earlier drafts Sienna's mom had been alive. The death of her mom was such a huge part of both Sienna's character and the story, that I never could've imagined the book with her alive. Similarly, I was surprised to hear that Heidi had cut about 100 pages in revisions, much of which contained the development of Deni and Sienna's relationship, as well as that of Sienna's father and Vera.

Once the Q&A wrapped up, everyone got in line to get their gorgeous finished copies of Sea signed. While everyone waited in line Sea tank tops were sold (which of course I bought), and everyone was given the chance to sign a keepsake poster for Heidi.

I'm so excited that Sea is finally out in the world for everyone to read and love. Congratulations, Heidi!

Do you see my "Sea" hair? According to Heidi my crimped hair looks exactly like how she'd pictured Sienna's.

12 comments:

  1. I think crimped hair can be a bad idea but you look so pretty! My copy of Sea arrived yesterday. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous!--I just moved out of San Jose (4 hours away, so still doable)--I totally could have been there...but if I hadn't moved, I might not have found this fabulous blog, or this fabulous blogging community! Maybe next time! Glad you got to go!!! And LOVE the hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are 100 more pages of Deni in the world?!

    So jealous you got to go! Looks like it was awesome though =0

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Heidi seems like such a nice person from Twitter. I'm so glad she had such a successful launch party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like it was a great time! so wish i could just jet to all the different signing all over the country! so glad that you got to attend though! love the sea hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you had fun! I plan on getting Sea as soon as I can. I've heard nothing but great things.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!
    Dare to crimp your hair, Jessica.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I wish we had chatted. I love meeting other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't forget Heidi has to get you an audition come movie time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for this post! I loved reading about Heidi's launch party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome that you got to the launch party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post! I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...