Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

Last year, all of Belly's dreams came true and the thought of missing a summer in Cousins Beach was inconceivable. But like the rise and fall of the ocean tide, things can change--just like that. Suddenly the time she's always looked forward to most is something she dreads. And when Jeremiah calls to say Conrad has disappeared, Belly must decide how she will spend this summer: chasing after the boy she loves, or finally letting him go.

Jenny Han once again creates a bittersweet tale about summer, love, and finding yourself in It’s Not Summer Without You.

After reading The Summer I Turned Pretty, It’s Not Summer Without You immediately became one of my most anticipated releases of the year. And, after reading it, I can’t quite decide which book is my favorite. It’s Not Summer Without You was wonderful in it’s own, unique way. It was quite different than its predecessor, but Belly and her summer boys made it unforgettable.

Unlike the first novel, this one did not encompass an entire summer. Instead it took place in the small window of a few summer days. Even with the time period so greatly shortened, I felt that far more happened in this novel than in The Summer I Turned Pretty. It had all of Belly’s memories and inner monologues that I loved from before, only with the added bonus of rapid development. This time crunch made It’s Not Summer Without You impossible to put down – the characters’ emotions were heightened, their relationships intensified and the story was fast paced.

The flashbacks that were so instrumental in building Belly’s character in The Summer I Turned Pretty make a return. Only this time they give the reader a glimpse back at the previous year and everything that brought her to this point. I absolutely adore how Han sprinkles in the flashbacks throughout the course of the novel, always enriching the plot and twisting your heartstrings.

One of my favorite things about this novel was the deeper exploration of Jeremiah’s character. This time, Belly’s is not the only point of view included. Han gets into the mind of shy and sensitive Jeremiah, allowing the reader to see some of the biggest developments of the novel (both past and present) through his eyes. I was intrigued by Jeremiah in the previous novel, and relished the chance to get to know him better. Unlike Conrad, Jeremiah’s complexity is not shown outright. He’s the steady, controlled brother. It was wonderful to be able to get insight into his character and see how all the events of the past year affected him. This was a refreshing addition, and one I greatly enjoyed.

It’s Not Summer Without You is another excellent novel from Jenny Han. This book is the perfect summer read. It will have you smiling, laughing and tearing up all the way through.

5 Stars!

Source: Purchased

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that it's terrific! I really enjoyed THE SUMMER I TURNED pretty, and was afraid I'd be disappointed in the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CANNOT wait to read this one...I loved "The Summer I Turned Pretty." I'm really excited to get to learn more about Jeremiah in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read this book and loved it! It's a perfect summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read The Summer I Turned Pretty. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I was wondering how you filed the review under the review page. I was trying on my blogger and I can't get it so that I can post on my pages. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Gabby,

    I was going to leave a comment on your blog, but you seem to have quite a few. I'm not sure which one is your main blog, so I'll just answer here. Hopefully you find it.

    To answer your question, my "pages" are not actually pages. Blogger's page option was not around when I made my menu bar, so I made it by HTML coding. The different "pages" are simply links to the different tags. For example, the review "page" shows you to all the posts tagged "book review."

    You can find instructions for HTML coding a menu bar with a simple Google search.

    Hope that helps!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this book was amazing. It kept me turning the pages and the way the author ended the book makes me unable to wait to read the next one! I loved it so much that i recommend it to any teenage girl out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book really was a good one! I love the way the author switched points of views between Jeremiah and Belly! The thing that's great about that is knowing how both of them felt about certain situations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If any teenage girl is looking for a good book to read I recommend, It's not summer without you or any other Jenny Han book. The book is wonderful and she's a really great author as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...