Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Just Say No


The fact that I run a book blog says something very important about me: I am a bookaholic. I love books. I love their smell and the sound that the flipping of pages makes. I love seeing my shelves full of gorgeous covers. Because of this, having a book blog may as well be my dream job. However, it's also akin to giving an alcoholic the key to a bar.

Being a part of the book blogging community has introduced me to countless books and authors whom I'd never have known about had I not been a blogger. My to be read (TBR) list has grown massive since starting my blog, and I've read titles and genres that I never would have had the guts to read had it not been for the opinions of my fellow book bloggers. Similarly, review requests have widened the span of my reading and significantly grown my TBR pile. 

Needless to say, my love of books has grown from a small affliction to full out addiction because of my blog.

There are tons of people like me in the world who are addicted to books. Because you're reading my blog, you probably are one of them. Many of these people, like me, start book blogs as a way to share their passion with others. Whenever I hear from new bloggers, one of the first questions they ask is how they can get more traffic or how to get ARCs or how to get in touch with a publisher to ask for ARCs. Which brings me back to my previous point: a book blog is a bookaholic's version of a bar. 

For many new bloggers, getting books is one of their main concerns. It shouldn't be, but it's undeniable that for many it is the truth. And while it's important to know how to draw traffic, build a reader base, and work with publishers, the most important skill, in my opinion, is knowing how and when to say no.

It can be tempting to accept every book that comes your way because, hey, they're free books. But in the end it will come back to bite you. Saying yes will get you a hefty pile of books, but if you don't know how to manage your requests and what type of books suit you, it will ultimately leave you drowning in a sea of books that you're unsure of. 

Saying no and being selective about the books you accept may not get you as many books as saying yes. The books you do get, though, will be ones you're genuinely excited and interested about. And if you know your limits, it will stop you from getting overrun with books, and help you to build a stronger client base. In my opinion, a publisher would rather you say no than accept their book, only to have it get thrown into a pile for who knows how long and then get a lukewarm review.

I myself have fallen prey to the glamor of saying yes, especially when my blog was young. I've been working hard to get out from under the pile that resulted ever since then. Saying no is hard. I feel bad every time I turn a person down, but I know it's the right thing for me and, in the long run, for them.

So when you're the requests start coming in, remember to stop, consider, and, if it's not right for you, just say no.  

14 comments:

  1. I really like this post! I would have loved something like this when I started blogging, especially if I had known I would still get pitches even if I did turn something down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah..."No." is a complete sentence. It's something I have to remind myself is okay to say. Loved the insightfullness of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree! Our blog is still fairly new, so I've only gotten a couple review requests and none of them were my type, so I said no. It was hard to do so, but I also know it was the right thing. Did this mean I only just got my first ARC for review this week? Yeah, but it was totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post. My "no" responses led me to create the Melting Pot Monday post. These are books I have been offered, but I can't (due to time) or don't want to review (due to interest). By mentioning the book (with cover and summary), I feel like I am still helping the publisher or author. They continue to send me offers-its a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thansk for the advice. I'm had my blog for a little over the year and I alread find myself getting swarmed at times. This is good advice that I will take with me later on. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup I completely agree! That's the reason I've decided to stop taking them for a time being! I also think if you do take them you should write a good review policy. When or if I decide to take them again, I'm creating a clear review policy first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great post. I agree, it can get so hard to say no to a free book especially when you're new to blogging but you live and you learn. It's a lot easier for me to turn a book down than it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I think as someone who just started blogging I really need to keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! It is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative! I love when amazing bloggers share their knowledge. The best wisdom is discovered through trail and error. =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice! When I first got started accepting books, I thought it was the best thing ever. Soon, I realized, that most of my reading time was reading books that I didn't particularly care for. I have changed up my habits and will only accept books that I'm fairly convinced I'll like. Right now I don't have a single review copy hanging over my head...and it feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had years and years experience of getting free ARCs when I worked at an independent bookstore (I'm so spoiled, I know)
    But, you are absolutely right. Once you have had your fill of boxes and boxes of freebies (in all your favorite genres no less!) the excitement begins to wane, and you realize you've got bookshelves stuffed to overflowing, and no hope of reading everything you've got backed up by the end of this year (or the end of next year, actually)
    That's one reason why I've gotten far more choosy about which ARCs I will accept.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...