Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Release: March 16, 2010

Source: Purchased
Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her “power” to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he’s claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay’s intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she’s falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.
The Body Finder was like a hybrid of chick lit, murder mystery, paranormal, and thriller. Never before have I read a book that can send chills up my spine with one page and melt my heart with the next.

Initially, I thought that The Body Finder was going to be a paranormal read. A girl who can see imprints of murder – it screams paranormal thriller. To my surprise, however, it ended up being equal parts romance and mystery. Derting did not heap on the paranormal. If anything, Violet’s world was perfectly normal. Her stumbling upon dead things was just an annoying part of her life. The absence of a heavy paranormal atmosphere greatly improved my opinion of the book. It’s been awhile since I’ve read a great murder mystery, and I was so glad to see Derting play up the mystery and play down the paranormal aspects (though they were still present and important to the story).

It is scary how perfectly Derting writes from the view of the predator. She gets into his mind so well that it literally chilled me. The memory of those short interludes stuck in my head for days after I finished reading. Every teenage girl should read this book, if only to remind them how important it is to stay safe and be alert of their surroundings.

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, there’s Jay. His and Violet’s romance provided a lighter undercurrent to the otherwise frightening plot. The dynamic of their friends-turned-something-more relationship was wonderfully written and intriguing to read. Had the mystery not been gripping enough, their romance would’ve kept me reading late into the night. Their romance was positively swoon-worthy.

With its unique blend of romance and thrilling mystery, The Body Finder will appeal to all readers. It’ll have you glued to your seat for hours, eager to find out what happens with Violet and Jay and the killer that stalks the town. This is an absolute must-read!

5 stars!

11 comments:

  1. -nods- I totally agree. This book kept me on the edge of my seat and made me held my breath several times - literally! I just made a review about it and also gave it 5 stars! :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I loved this book as well hands down one of my favourites (yes this is the correct spelling I'm from the land down under and this is how we spell it) so far this year!

    Derting's POV from the predator was really creepy and the romance between Jay and Violet so sweet.

    Romy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I dont know when will i start reading this one =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you wrote! I can't wait for her next novel^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. the romance is definitely swoon-worthy, such great reading! I can't wait for Desires of the Dead :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I have an award for you - check out http://bit.ly/cWPSeo

    -Ana @ Addicted To Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I love this book!!! Very welcome and refreshing to find such a book in the current vampage. Have been raving about it and forcing peepz to read it at the library I work in and so far the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Oh, and isn't that cover gorgeous?! Looking forward to the sequel!

    Saffie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely review. I need to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to read this book, everyone's been raving about it.

    PS: Check out my blog for an award: http://yabooknerd.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stopping by all the blogs I follow – Thought I would check in with everyone! Stop by The Wormhole if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so loved this book!

    Also, I gave you an award, click HERE to check it out.

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...