Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Release: September 7, 2010

Source: BookExpo America
A hidden truth.

Mortal enemies.

Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.
Fallen angels, fairies, zombies, unicorns, vampires, werewolves – the world of paranormal and fantasy literature has touched upon a plethora of supernatural creatures in recent years. Even so, there is still one creature that has been all but ignored in YA: Dragons.

That is, until now.

 In Firelight, Sophie Jordan tells the tale of a teenage dragon (or draki to be more specific).

When I first heard about the novel, I immediately wanted to read it. With dragons being virtually untapped in YA, there was so much potential for the novel. Romance, action, adventure – it could have it all. However, shortly after beginning the novel my interest began to wane.

I had a great deal of curiosity about the draki, their pride, and the abilities they possessed. Unfortunately, Jacinda and her family flee from the pride fairly early on in the novel, leaving behind the world that fascinated me. (Please note that when I first heard about this book, prior to BEA, the complete summary -- including the bit about Jacinda's family moving to the human world -- was not yet released.) While still interesting, it was not the story I had been expecting. Rather than being centered on the draki, the focus was on Jacinda learning to survive in the human world and making sense of her feelings for Will. This was not boring per se, just not what I had been expecting.

Overall, my biggest issue with Firelight was Jacinda. Her attraction to Will was something she was constantly battling with. She’d make up her mind with an air of finality, only to waffle a few pages later. While understandable in the beginning, after a while I just wanted her to make a decision and stick to it. This tendency to be indecisive popped up throughout the novel in other non-Will- related situations. From her family to her future, she just couldn’t seem to make a firm decision. Between this and her whining, she quickly got on my nerves.

I would not say Firelight was a disappointment, simply not what I’d been hoping for when I began reading. Judging by where this novel left off, though, it seems that the next novel in the series may be more on target with my previous assumptions. I guess we’ll have to see wait and see.

3 Stars

5 comments:

  1. Nice review. I am looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm sorry to see that it didn't meet up to your expectations :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great honest review. I have this on my tbr list. Now I have a better idea of what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is fantastic! I loved it so much! Sorry you didn't...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review just exactly what I feel too. I loved it but hate it too for the cliff hanger and also wished there was more details about just everything because it was mostly about Jacinda and her indecision. Although I really hate waiting for the second book I have to since it hasn't come out but I'm hoping it will be more detailed and more action. (cross fingers)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...