Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Release: June 8, 2010

Source: BookExpo America
Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?
Being a big fan of Jennifer Lynn Barnes, I was excited to hear that she had a new book coming out last summer. This time it wasn’t crime fighting cheerleaders or sidhe – it was werewolves, and it far surpassed all of my expectations.

Raised by Wolves was unlike any of Barnes previous novels. Combining her knack for supernatural storytelling with that of writing strong female characters, I was sucked in to Bryn’s world. Immediately I fell in love with her voice. Sarcastic with a touch of rebellion, she proved to be an entertaining protagonist. She wasn’t afraid of anything or anyone, going by her gut instinct and never compromising her beliefs. This is something I’ve always admired about Barnes’ characters. What really impressed me, though, was the storytelling. It was complex but not cluttered and excellently plotted.

It’s hard to write a review of this novel without giving too much away, as the main plot is not revealed until later on in the novel. What I will say, however, is that it was far different from what I’d expected. While it still dealt with the pack and Bryn’s place in it, the larger plot pertained more to a mystery from Bryn’s past. Being a fan of mysteries, I ate it up. Amidst all the idiosyncrasies of the pack there was strategy and plotting for the larger plot. This combination was what really intrigued me. The werewolf instincts and powers are used as tools to solve the mystery, making the novel ever more interesting to read.

Raised by Wolves was an overall satisfying read, though it still left me wanting more. It is because of this that I am grateful Barnes will be writing a sequel, entitled Trial by Fire. There are so many directions the story could go, and I personally cannot wait to see what happens.

Fans of mystery and paranormal will enjoy this wonderfully crafted novel, as well as the subtle romance that drives it.

4.5 stars!

2 comments:

  1. Great review :) I'm pining for this book but I'm so afraid that I'll be disappointed when I get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review! I've been waiting for a review on this one because I wasn't quite sure if I'd like the story. I'm definitely adding it to my TBR pile now :)

    I'm a new follower, and I found you on Kristi's feature on The Story Siren!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...