Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Smart Chicks Kick It Event Wrap-up

Waiting in line to meet the Smart Chicks. What an awesome group!
A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of attending the Smart Chicks Kick It tour stop in Menlo Park, CA. Ever since the tour's announcement last fall, I've been excitedly anticipating the stop. And boy was it fun!

When I walked into the library and saw row after row of chairs set up, I will admit I was a little taken aback. With my normal author signings being hosted by Not Your Mother's Book Club, I was used to smaller venues. But it sure was fun to see so many YA lovers packed into the library and made the event all the more hilarious.

The larger venue also meant that there were TONS of Northern California YA book bloggers there. I've only ever met a few, so it was very cool to see them all. We even posed for a group picture, although I unfortunately didn't get a copy of the picture. I'm sure it's out there in the blogosphere, though.

Even more fun, I was finally able to meet Vania from VLC Productions. Regular readers of my blog will know that I am a big fan of her book trailers (which are gorgeous). After following her work and talking to her on Twitter, it was awesome to be able to meet her.

Alyson Noel (The Immortals series) and me.
Now, back to the actual event. The panel of seven authors -- Melissa Marr, Alyson Noel, Kelley Armstrong, Melissa de la Cruz, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia and Kimberly Derting -- kicked off the event by throwing tons of goodies into the audience for the smart chicks who'd gathered. I wasn't able to get too much, but I did get a Beautiful Darkness bracelet, which I absolutely love. Then, once the crowd had settled down, the authors held a Q&A session with the audience, where they discussed everything from their reasons for writing to their worst kisses.

They didn't keep the mic all night long, though. Halfway through the event they put the audience into the hot seat with a game in honor of Sarah Rees Brennan, a smart chick who had just left the tour, called Marry, Shag Cliff. The basic idea of the game is that members of the audience pick one of the authors' books and choose who they'd marry, who they'd shag, and who they'd throw off a cliff. The resulting combinations were absolutely hilarious.

My friend Connie from Not Your Mother's Book Club and me.
After some more funny stories from the authors, we all formed a not-so-orderly line and began the long wait to get our books signed. Fortunately, Connie from NYMBC, who has become once of my signing buddies, was there with a friend and we passed the long wait discussing books, school, and mis-perceptions of the genre.

Finally, we reached the tables and were able to meet all the lovely smart chicks. Most noteworthy for me were Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness) and Kimberly Derting  (The Body Finder and Desires of the Dead). I absolutely adore the authors' books and was so happy to finally get the chance to meet them.

What an awesome event!

Finally meeting Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures)!
Kimberly Derting (The Body Finder) and me. Squee!

P.S. Major props to Connie and her friend for taking all the above photos. My camera, like all technology, hates me and ate its battery. Thanks for saving the day, Connie!

4 comments:

  1. You're so lucky to attend to this events! I leave in Portugal so it's impossible for me to attend

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, it's connie's friend here, annie :)
    i had a good time at the event, it was great to meet you & i saved your blog on my google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I'm so insanely jealous. You met every single one of my new-found favorite authors. I have yet to read any one of those women's books that I didn't like! Its so amazing how great you've become at such a young age. Its really inspiring for an old woman like myself..okay 23 isnt old, but it feels like it. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much fun! I had to miss the one in my area because of work, so I am living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...