Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler

Release: December 1, 2010

Source: Teen Author Carnival
Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart.

She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition.

Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?

Rich with emotion, Sarah Ockler delivers a powerful story of family, love, and self-discovery.

Following her deliciously emotional debut, Twenty Boy Summer, Sarah Ockler proves once again that she’s an author to watch for with her newest novel, Fixing Delilah.

Delilah’s sarcastic voice was perfectly suited for this book. From the first page it caught my attention. After that, I was hooked. There was an instant connection between her and me, and even though I may not have agreed with some of her previous decisions, I was on her side no matter what. This strong bond made the story all the more powerful to read. I felt what she felt, I understood her confusion, I saw what she didn’t, and I hoped for her to see it too. Throughout the whole novel I was cheering for Delilah’s successes and tearing up at her losses.

The true gems of this story were the characters. They were all magnificent and full of depth. From Aunt Rachel to Patrick, they added color to the story and helped to reveal more of Delilah’s character through their connections with her.

Because of this, the family aspect of the novel was one of the most gripping parts about it. Early on it becomes clear that the Hannaford women had many secrets between them. All three of the women had gravitated away from each other, adding more secrets to the already potent mix that had driven them apart in the first place. When these secrets finally began to break loose, the drama that ensued had me on the edge of my seat.

Ockler paints a beautiful story of love, loss, family and personal identity in Fixing Delilah, perfectly suited for fans of Sarah Dessen and Jenny Han. I cannot wait to read more from her!

5 stars!

4 comments:

  1. Love that there's a huge family aspect in this. I'm beyond excited for this novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely plan on getting my own copy of this once it's out! Great review, the comparison to Sarah Dessen is definitely a high compliment to Ockler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked Fixing Delilah! :-) The family aspect was the most challenging and most rewarding part to write in this novel, so it means a lot to me that you connected so strongly with it. Thank you for sharing your review (and for the Dessen & Han comparisons - what an honor)!

    Sincerely,
    Sarah Ockler

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking forward to checking out this book! Thank you for sharing your review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...