Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Entice by Carrie Jones

*MILD SPOILER WARNING*

Release: January 3, 2011

Source: Publisher (BloomsburyUSA)

Others in the Series: Need (book #1) and Captivate (book #2)
Zara and Nick are soul mates, meant to be together forever. But that's not quite how things have worked out.

For starters, well, Nick is dead. Supposedly, he's been taken to a mythic place for warriors known as Valhalla, so Zara and her friends might be able to get him back. But it's taking time, and meanwhile a group of evil pixies is devastating Bedford, with more teens going missing every day. An all-out war seems imminent, and the good guys need all the warriors they can find. But how to get to Valhalla?

And even if Zara and her friends discover the way, there's that other small problem: Zara's been pixie kissed. When she finds Nick, will he even want to go with her? Especially since she hasn't just turned. She's Astley's queen.

Though I was initially weary of this series, last year I found both Need and Captivate to be intriguing and enjoyable reads. With each garnering four stars from me, Entice ranked high on my list of books to read in 2011.

Picking up where Captivate left off, I was expecting a very high-stakes storyline with enough action and surprises to keep me well entertained. However, I found myself a bit disappointed with Entice. Though it began well, I felt that the storyline quickly stagnated into a pattern of dead ends and Zara throwing herself into clearly dangerous situations. The latter was one of the more annoying parts of this novel. While I’ve never entirely loved Zara, I did always like her. In Entice, however, her impulsiveness and lack of forethought quickly grew tiresome.

Even more frustrating, a large portion of the advertised plot of the novel only truly came into play during the final twenty or so pages. Whereas the rest of the rising actions had been drawn out and repetitive, this much anticipated climax felt rushed and ended openly, with many of the original strings still dangling.

Despite these complaints, I did not entirely dislike this novel. Astley, though originally seeming smarmy and in possession of a hidden agenda, quickly won me over and became one of my favorite characters.  Jones did an excellent job of adding layers to his character through his actions and heart-wrenching back story. Whereas Zara and the plot fell into arduous patterns, Astley was constantly defying the expectations I had for him. In a largely static novel, he was one of the few dynamic elements.

A highly anticipated release this winter, fans of the series will still enjoy Entice, but it did not entirely stand up to its hype. 

3 stars

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic, honest review! I posted my review of Entice yesterday and although I thought Entice was the best in the series yet, I can definitely understand the points that you've made about it. Thinking about it now, I do agree about it being a little repetitive at times and Astely was a highlight for me too. I still haven't decided who I want Zara to end up with in the end though.
    I hope that despite your disappointments in Entice, that you will read the next book in the series still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read the series, but I'll try to find copies.
    Entice seems like the kind of sequel (OK, not exactly a sequel, but you get it) that you described in your previous discussion post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...