Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Chick Chat: Alexandra Monir

Today I have a guest post from Alexandra Monir, author of Timeless. Between the cover and the great synopsis, I have long been wanting to read this novel. And, hopefully, after reading this guest post, you will too.


When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor’s world, she is forced to uproot her life and move across the country to New York City, to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she’s never met. In their old Fifth Avenue mansion filled with a century’s worth of family secrets, Michele discovers a diary that hurtles her back in time to the year 1910. There, in the midst of the glamorous Gilded Age, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes who has haunted her dreams all her life – a man she always wished was real, but never imagined could actually exist. And she finds herself falling for him, into an otherworldly, time-crossed romance.

Michele is soon leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves – a quest that will determine the fate of both of their lives.

The Love Story of Timeless

In writing my debut novel, Timeless, I was able to combine some of my favorite themes: time-travel, New York history, coming-of-age, music, and of course- love. While my protagonist is kept busy with her adventures in Time and a multi-generational family mystery to crack, the heart of the story is her relationship with Philip, the boy she meets in the past. Theirs is a romance that defies the constraints of time, that goes beyond one life, and is born of a concept that I find fascinating: destiny.

For as long as I can remember, I've been a believer in the idea of fate and destiny bringing two people together. Watching West Side Story numerous times growing up, I was always struck by that moment where Tony and Maria meet, the way the earth stops spinning for a moment, and nothing in this world exists for these two except each other. I've always wanted to write about that- the slightly crazy, out-of-this world experience of love at first sight. While I definitely think most of the best, healthiest relationships are built gradually and don't fall into the instant-love category, I also feel strongly that when two people are so destined for each other that it gives them the power to break the boundaries of Time and logic- that is a couple that would recognize each other right away in a true love at first sight.

Writing Michele and Philip's relationship was both exhilarating and heartbreaking, because even in a coupling that is so intrinsically right, living in two different centuries is clearly a big problem. I call it the ultimate long-distance relationship! I consider Time to be both a hero and a villain of my story- the uncontrollable element that brings these two lovers together and also keeps them apart. But in a romance that calls on the paranormal, there are always unexpected twists and turns that come into play- and this is what I am excited to be exploring as I currently write the sequel!

I would love to hear your thoughts on love at first sight, paranormal love, and Timeless. :) Follow me @TimelessAlex!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing book, I must get it!:) I also love the cover, it's hauntingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...