Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Some Bad News and Some Good News

Let's begin with the bad news because, in my opinion, it's always better to get the sad news over with first. That way the happy news is not tainted by it.


It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the death of Chick Lit Teens' official bookstore. Due to a new California law from Governor Brown, Amazon Associates is terminating all contracts with California residents. The new law, as stated in the email from Amazon Associates, "specifically imposes the collection of taxes from consumers on sales by online retailers...even if those retailers have no physical presence in the state." Because of this new law and subsequent the termination of my contract with Amazon Associates, I will no longer be able to maintain the bookstore or collect the (meager) advertising fees from the Amazon.com links and banners included on the site.

I am not going to turn this into a political tirade about California's politics or Governor Brown, but what I will say is that I was incredibly saddened to hear this news yesterday evening. I have never run the bookstore with the intent to make a profit. Even if I wanted to, it would not have been feasible. At most, I made a dollar or less every month or so, which was quickly spent on shipping for giveaway prizes. The store was created solely out of my desire to enhance my blog readers' experience with Chick Lit Teens by providing an online bookstore full of the titles I've reviewed. I was looking forward to revamping the store over this summer and filling it with many more of my favorite titles. And I am very sad (and a little angry) that Governor Brown took that away from me and is denying my readers what I hoped to be a great extension of Chick Lit Teens.

Now onto some happier news...

Today I discovered that one of my reviews was quoted in another book: Legacy by Cayla Kluver!!!

Before this my I had only been quoted in one other book (Beautiful Americans by Lucy Silag). I have always flipped through the "Praise for (insert book title here)" page(s) in books, so I find it amazingly cool when I see my reviews quoted there. When I discovered that I was quoted in Legacy, I actually screamed. And hugged the book. And danced around the teen section of Borders. And then got a very weird look from the man who was reshelving some books.

My little sister snapped this picture right after I finished my happy dance. (Note the ecstatic face.) I was really rather excited. This impromptu picture also surprised ReShelving Man, as I will now affectionately call him. Although, I must admit that his concerned face was nowhere near as fun as the reaction I got last time I discovered my quote in a book (Beautiful Americans); Rachael from Book Love: Teen yelled at me for taking a picture with the book.

Here's what the review quote says:

"Legacy is a breathtakingly beautiful story about one girl's struggle to overcome the expectations of a kingdom and find her own happiness...Full of political struggle, duty, legends, brilliant character, and beautiful prose, Legacy will leave readers wanting more."

You can read the rest of the review here.

This particular quote is especially exciting for me because I originally reviewed Legacy two years ago when it was published by Amazon Encore. I really enjoyed it back then and even did an interview with author Cayla Kluver, who is super sweet. So when I heard Harlequin Teen was publishing a new paperback edition, I was super excited for Cayla. I feel so blessed that the publisher included my old review in the new edition!

And now that I'm done gushing, here is some info on Legacy:

The first boy disappeared on the day of his birth, on a night when the pale yellow moon of the nighttime sky turned red and bathed the heavens in the ghastly color of blood, on the same night the Kingdom of Cokyri abruptly ceased its merciless attack.

Across the land of Hytanica, under the shadow of the crimson moon, infant boys continued to vanish. Not until the blood had faded from the sky did the disappearances stop and the bodies of the murdered infants were found outside the gates of the city, a final word from the greatest enemy Hytanica had ever known. For the next sixteen years, peace reigned, but one mystery remained unsolved. The Cokyrians had abducted forty-nine newborns, but returned only forty-eight bodies.

Now, as seventeen-year-old Princess Alera of Hytanica is besieged from all sides by suitors vying for the Throne, a teenage Cokyrian boy, Narian, is encountered within the walls of her Kingdom, a boy who will show Alera a world where women serve a purpose and not just a husband. As Narian helps Alera find her voice, she struggles against an arranged marriage that will shatter the life she has scarcely begun to live. And when Narian's shocking past is uncovered, and war with Cokyri looms once more, he must fight to defy a fate ordained at his birth.
I hope you'll all go check out this epic story!

3 comments:

  1. My heart skipped a beat when I saw "death". Glad it was only a aStore, but still sorry to hear it.
    Congrats on the quote! That must be so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connecticut did the same thing with the tax law. Amazon yanked their associates program here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally annoyed too- to get around it my sister signed up for the program in Utah. She collects the funds for me now. Awesome about your quote! lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...