Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

This Is Teen Live Event

On Monday I was very lucky to be able to attend a fabulous signing featuring three amazing authors: Meg Cabot, Libba Bray and Maggie Stiefvater.

The event was part of a live tour for Scholastic's This Is Teen campaign. As Libba discussed, the aim of This Is Teen is to break the "teen" mold. So many adults have the idea in their head that all teens are the same, like the same things, act the same, etc. But This Is Teen wants to defy that stereotype. They are doing this through a Facebook page, giveaways, a massive scavenger hunt, the live tour and so much more.

Thus far, I think Scholastic has done a great job with the campaign. I especially like that they are giving teens the chance to connect with their favorite authors face to face via the tour.

I attended the San Francisco tour stop, which was hosted by the ever-wonderful Not Your Mother's Book Club at Books Inc. Like me, everyone seemed to be uber excited to be there. The place was packed. Even though my friends and I bought tickets in advance (we were signing group A) and showed up a half hour early, we almost didn't get a seat. It was crazy! 

To tide us over before the event started, there were giant replicas of the author's most recent book covers. The heads were cut out of the figures and everyone got to take pictures as if they were a part of the covers. 
Can I have Sam now?
As fun as that was, the authors' talks were even better. Each author got a chance to give their own individual talk about writing and their novels.

Meeting Maggie Stiefvater for the second time!
Maggie Stiefvater kicked off the event by discussing her love of making people cry. She then went on to tell all of us about how she decided to throw out her original draft of Forever, the final book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, a week or two before her deadline. At this point I was beginning to worry..and as she continued to talk, I grew even more concerned. Turns out she had come across a website for a group of wolf trackers that included a page about how different wolves had died. One of wolves, she told us, had fallen into pit or a sinkhole (I can't remember her exact words) and drowned in the mud at the bottom, unable to escape. 

We all sat there in stunned silence.

Maggie then laughed and said she knew that would make readers sob.

I am now very, very scared to read Forever. I have a feeling I will be needing lots of tissues.

Rocking the glasses with Meg Cabot (new for both of us).
Following that worrisome (yet hilarious) talk by Maggie, Meg Cabot's talk took a more cheerful turn. She revealed that The Princess Diaries was not, in fact, written about a high school girl discovering she was a princess. It is actually about a girl whose mom is dating her teacher, an unfortunate experience Meg went through. The princess part was only thrown in to make people read it.

She also talked about how Abandon, her newest YA novel, is one she has been wanting to write since high school, when she was in love with the myth of Persephone. Ever since her days of doodling the myth in her math notebook, she has wanted to revamp it and make it more contemporary. And she finally got the chance to do so in Abandon. I hadn't really considered reading Abandon before the signing, as it sounded too paranormal for my liking, but I am now very intrigued.

Meeting Libba again, this time as a blogger.
Meg and Maggie - Megaggie, to Libba - both gave great talks, but Libba's was by far the funniest. Probably because it included some audience participation. Because Libba has difficulty describing her books, she decided to let us help. To do so, we played a game of Beauty Queens Mad Libs. The result was hilarious

NYMBC's wonderful leader, Maggie, recorded the game so that those who weren't able to attend the event could share int he hilarity. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.





NYMBC once again put on a wonderful event. Everything about the event was perfectly planned, including the signing, which, with so many people, easily could've become chaotic. I would highly suggest taking a look at the This Is Teen Facebook page to see if the tour is coming to a city near you. It's definitely worth it.


I finally dragged my friends to a signing with me. From right to left: Kendall, ShinEui, Shannon, Katie, and me.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I went to the NYC one, (mostly for Maggie,) but my friend and I came kind of late. I was standing all the way in the back, and I wasn't wowed, but I did kick-off the audience questions ;) And it was great to meet Maggie. (I kept on missing her other NYC signings.)
    Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...