Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Comment on Emails

Because it is Sunday and thus a lazy day, I am finally getting around to cleaning out my inbox. There were some 40+ emails in there waiting for responses, a few dating all the way back to the end of June. (Yes, it makes me cringe too.)

I admit, I have yet to master the finer points of emailing. Even though I have had my blog for almost three and a half years and should have figured it out by now, I am constantly behind on responding to emails. Don't get me wrong, I read them all. (That is the magic of having a smart phone.) I just don't respond right when I read them. (That is the downfall of having a smart phone: an itty bitty touch keyboard.) One day I will learn to respond to emails upon reading them, but I highly doubt that will be soon. The more full my inbox gets, the more I fear and avoid it, and the worse it gets. It's a vicious cycle.

When I do finally brave my inbox, however, I find that 99% of my responses are me rejecting people's review requests or inquiries. It's not that I am insanely picky, the issue is that so many people do not read my review policy before sending their emails. After the tenth email about some new memoir or adult literary fiction release, it really starts to irk me.

That said, from now on I will be deleting emails that do not meet the guidelines laid out in my review policy. I do not think my review policy is not incredibly nitpicky. If you can't take the time to read and comply with the few rules I lay down, then I'm not going to take the time to respond to your email.

Here are a few of the things that I will not review and/or will cause me to delete your email:
  • Anything non-YA (the only possible exception would be MG)
  • eBooks, PDFs, etc. I do not have an eReader, nor do I intend to buy one.
  • Most non-fiction, especially titles that do not relate to teens 
  • CDs, bands, etc.
  • New social networks or non-book-related websites
  • New locker organizers, water bottles, kids' shoes, etc. (I get about four of these a week.)
  • Promotions on other websites
  • Articles on other websites, especially when they aren't book-related
Here are the things I will consider and/or respond to:
  • Published or soon-to-be-published YA novels
  • YA authors available for interviews
  • YA authors or bloggers doing cool things on the internet, such as live chats
  • YA book news, including TV shows or movie deals for YA titles
  • New bloggers wanting advice
Now, there are probably a lot more things I will respond to/consider featuring on my blog. But the things I won't review/consider are fairly set in stone. So, pretty please, make sure your email is actually something I will consider before sending it. Otherwise you're just wasting both of our time, and there's nothing cool about that.

Thanks for working with me!

P.S. I just updated my review policy to better reflect the points made in this post, so please be sure to check it out if you're considering emailing me.

2 comments:

  1. I get annoyed when I get review requests with almost no information. I never accept those. It gets annoying! I completely understand! ;)

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gotten too many review requests (relatively small blog) but I got one that made me want to reply with something very rude. It was just "hi" then their name and book title, asking me to review it, with a quick sign-off. No links,even.
    I wanted to respond with something starting,
    "Hi person whose name I don't know because I won't even bother looking at your previous email for it, since you couldn't even glance at my blog title,
    No."

    I actually went and Googled the book. It was self-pub, and an ebook. My response was way too polite than it should have been. (I should have been mean just so she'd know how to ask for review requests in the future. Like, ya know, personalize them.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...