Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Release: August 31, 2010

Source: Purchased
Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

Oh, Evie, what wit you have.

From the very first chapter Evie’s character practically leapt off the page. Her voice was magnificent and the writing was fast-paced and saturated in wit – I was completely enchanted.

I especially loved the fresh, fun take on paranormals. This is the second paranormal book I’ve read this summer that has a strong chick lit feel (the first being Ripple by Mandy Hubbard). I love it! It’s definitely a trend I want to see more of, especially if the characters are like Evie.

Speaking of Evie, more than once I found myself smiling at her antics and smart remarks. At times she did seem a little childish, but it only made her all the more endearing. She honestly reminded me of my best friend, which made me love her character all the more.

As for Lend (yeah, it’s weird name. There are a lot of them in Paranormalcy.), I wasn’t as taken with him as Evie was. Truthfully, I liked the mystery surrounding his character a lot more than I liked him. Still, his relationship with Evie was a great addition to the story. I think I’ll end up liking him more in Supernaturally, when he has more time to grow on me.

One of my absolute favorite aspects of Paranormalcy was the fey poem/prophecy that was at the heart of the plot. I’ve always been a fan of cryptic prophecies and enjoy trying to figure them out before the characters do. Sadly, the prophecy/poem in Paranormalcy was never fully explained, though its overall meaning was alluded to. I’m hoping that White will further explore it in Supernaturally.

Overall this series has a lot of promise, as does White as an author. I would definitely suggest giving Paranormalcy a read.

4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...