Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Top Ten Books I Loved But Never Wrote A Review For



I had so much fun participating in Top Ten Tuesday last time, that I've decided to give it another go. For those of you who are curious, Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week bloggers all over the blogosphere create a top ten list based on that week's theme. This week's theme, for example, is "Top Ten Books You Loved But Never Wrote A Review For."

Personally, this is going to be a tough list to make. I have so many favorite books from before I started blogging, as well as a few titles I just loved too much to put into words. Here goes nothing...

1. The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray
I don't even know where to start with this series. My mom, in a rush to get home, pulled A Great Terrible Beauty off a shelf at Borders, noted the corset on the cover (I was a historical fiction addict), and told me to give it a shot. I ended up starting it the next morning on our drive to Disneyland...I didn't say anything the whole way. It was fabulous! Honestly, all three books are. I love this series to bits. Two words: read it. Don't look at the summary, don't read reviews, don't even think about it - just go read it!


2. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
My best fried suggested this book to me many years ago. She was reading it and thought that I, being a huge reader, would probably enjoy it. Oh boy, did I enjoy it. The writing was lovely, the story was expertly written,  and the characters were enchanting. It entirely swept me away, as did its companion novel, Enna Burning. In fact, all four of the Books of Bayern are lovely. With a world as richly woven as Bayern and a writer like Shannon Hale, you really can't go wrong.

3. Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
I'm not quite sure if "love" is the proper way to describe my opinion of this book. Honestly, I don't know what I think of it. I read Angelfire amidst all the craziness of the end of the school year. Even with all that was going on and all of the things I had to do, when I was reading Angelfire, I was completely and utterly enthralled. To me, that says something. So while I wasn't completely in love with the book - some elements of the story and characters really irked me - I would still recommend it, because, clearly, there's something captivating in there.

4. Austenland by Shannon Hale
Yes, more Shannon Hale. I went on a major Shannon Hale reading binge before I started my blog. (Spurred by my love of The Goose Girl, of course.) The result of this reading binge was the realization that Hale is truly a brilliant writer. The other result was the discovery of Austenland. This is one of Hale's adult novels, which normally would've kept me from reading it (I was only in seventh grade). But with a name like Austenland, I knew I had to read it. It was absolutely lovely. Which is precisely why I was so excited to find out that there's going to be a movie!

5. White Cat by Holly Black
Prior to this I'd never read anything by Holly Black. I'd heard good things about her books, but never really had the urge to read any of them. In fact, I wasn't even planning on reading White Cat until I saw VLC's book trailer for it. It ended up being a pleasant surprise. Cassel was a great protagonist and I was fascinated by the world Black created. Being a fan of spy books and mysteries, I found the idea of the con-artist curse workers incredibly intriguing.

6. Anything written by Sarah Dessen
Hello, it's Sarah Dessen. She's just all-around awesome. It would be pointless for me to write reviews because every one would read "Another great novel from Sarah Dessen. (Insert boy's name here) was incredibly dreamy and I loved his romance with (insert troubled but sweet protagonist's name here). More please!"


7. Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman
I read this book a looooong time ago. Like, I can barely remember when I read it. I know it was back before I even knew who Stephanie Meyer was. She was just some author who'd blurbed this book that I'd found on the bottom of a bookshelf at Borders. There was just something about the teeny tiny picture of the girl in a red dress jumping in the air with a Jane Austen-eque image behind her that called to me. I picked it up, bought it, raced through it one afternoon, and now every time I see the spine on my bookshelf I smile to myself. The funny thing is, over the years, I've started to forget why I smile. I just remember loving it. Hmm, I think I'll have to reread it soon.

8. The Queen's Soprano by Carol Dines
This is another book that always makes me smile, even though I read it so long ago that I can barely remember it. It also happens to be another book picked out by my mom because of the historical-looking gown on the cover. The book was fabulous with a bittersweet ending that, even though a lot of the story has faded, I still remember vividly. It is one of the better historical fiction novels I've read, and I'm really looking forward to rereading it now that my knowledge of history has increased tremendously (thank you, AP classes).

9. I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter
I know I've reviewed a few of the more recent novels in this series, but I never got around to reviewing the first two novels. This is mostly due to the fact that I read the first two books in my pre-blogging days. Still, it wouldn't feel right if I didn't include this book on my list. I LOVE this book. It was simply marvelous in all aspects. I have long been a fan of novels set at private/boarding schools, as well as those including spies or mysteries or subterfuge. Needless to say, I fell absolutely and completely in love with this book and the series as a whole. To this day, if Ally Carter releases a new book, I drop everything and run to the bookstore. Such a great series!


10. Demon Glass by Rachel Hawkins


So, um, I cannot believe I never reviewed this book. Same goes for Hex Hall. I don't really know why I never reviewed either book because I greatly enjoyed both. I just never seemed to be able to actually write a review, so I just...didn't. Anyways, I guess I'll just pimp Demon Glass now. Because, really, it deserves to get some attention. I enjoyed Hex Hall, I loved Demon Glass. There was the perfect mix of romance and danger, plus lots of intrigue from new characters and story lines. The final book, Spellbound, is sure to be just as awesome. I would definitely recommend reading this series.


Now that you've seen my list, what's on yours?

4 comments:

  1. The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Totally loved that booked. Think I need to read it again. So I can review it with a new mind :P haha

    Uhh.. I got HexHall and DemonGlass waiting :) Looking forward to read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll recomment now that that post is up for reals ;)

    I loved the Gemma Doyle trilogy so much - I went through numerous copies of those books with all the rereading until I finally just bought HCs.

    Angelfire and The Goose Girl were so brilliant as well. I really need to read Rachel Hawkins's books asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I haven't gotten to the Gemma Doyle series or any Shannon Hale or Ally Carter yet. I have posted my 10 here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...