Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Top Ten Underrated Books

This is my first time participating in Top Ten Tuesday, a meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Like the creators, I too love lists, especially when the themes are as fun and book-ish as these. This week's theme is Top Ten Underrated Books - aka books that you feel should be more popular and widely read.

1. Bad Kitty by Michelle Jaffe
This book is literally laugh out loud funny. It's also the reason I fell in love with YA in the first place. Jaffe is not only a plotting genius, but she has a knack for writing comedy. The main character, Jasmine, is one of my all time favorite protagonists and has one of the best voices I've ever read. The same goes for her hilarious friends and family. I honestly don't know how Jaffe came up with half of their high jinks. All I know is that I spent the majority of the book laughing. Oh, and did I mention it's a murder mystery? Because it is. And an excellent one at that. Bad Kitty is just all around awesome. I don't know why more people haven't read it.

2.  The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
I stared at this book for months before I finally bought it. You see, I hadn't seen many (if any) reviews on it. Normally this means that a book isn't all that great. Boy, oh boy, am I glad I decided to take a chance on The Summer I Turned Pretty! This series has become one of my favorites. Han is an incredibly talented writer. She brought Belly's world to life. I could practically taste the salty beach air and feel the sun shining on my face. I like to say reading The Summer I Turned Pretty is like stepping into summer, because the long, sun-drenched days come to life on the pages. As if that isn't reason enough to read it, the main character, Belly, was expertly written. Han perfectly captured the confusion of growing up and struggling to find yourself. I fell in love with everything about Belly's story. I cannot recommend this book enough.

3. Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken
You've read Brightly Woven, right? If not, what are you doing with your life?! Seriously, this is one of those books you don't want to miss. I loved it so much when I was on its ARC tour that I drove across town to get a finished copy when it came out. It's a fabulous fantasy adventure, reminiscent of Shannon Hale. Plus, it has North. I honestly love everything about this book.

4. Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler
Ockler's first book, Twenty Boy Summer, has gotten a lot of buzz - both negative and positive - but I feel like Fixing Delilah has been more or less overlooked. Which is really tragic, because it is a wonderful novel. Unlike in a lot of YA, the family aspect is played up, rather than dismissed. Between all of the family secrets being revealed and the friends-turned-more romance, I fell head over heels for this book.

5. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan matson
I only found this book because I was a part of the blog tour and hadn't expected much from it. So, of course, I ended up really liking it. As the title implies, Amy and Roger's detour really is epic. From Yosemite to Graceland - the two had so many enchanting adventures. By the time it was all said and done, I was smiling happily and so glad I'd read the book. Definitely check it out the next time you're looking for a great chick lit read.

6. The Season by Sarah MacLean
Oh my, where do I begin? This book literally made me swoon. Regency society, mystery, and romance - I was in heaven! Seriously, just read it. You won't be sorry.

7. Mermaid Park by Beth Mayall
I read this book back when it first came out, waaaaaaaay before I started blogging. Now that I've read a lot more, I recognize how very Sarah Dessen-esque Mermaid Park is. It's probably one of the reasons why I ended up loving chick lit so much. There were family secrets (love), a mermaid-themed water show (love), romance (love!), and the beach (love). In fact, I think I may need to read it again...

8. In or Out by Claudia Gabel
There are four books in this series, all of which revolve around ex-best friends Nola and Marnie and their very different freshman years. I started reading these books the year before I started high school and really clicked with the characters. Nola reminded me of me and Marnie reminded me of my best friend. Even though they didn't stay close once they started high school, I still felt a real connection with both characters and their stories. It warms my heart just to think about this series.

9. The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell
At first I was little wary of this one. I mean, it's about superheroes and villains. Very comic book, very not me. And yet I ended up falling in love with Damien. His wit definitely had something to do with it, as I am a sucker for banter. I think that, like me, a lot of people haven't picked up the book because of how comic book it seems. Just trust me and read it, though. If you loved Sky High, you'll love The Rise of Renegade X.

10. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
As far as I'm concerned, this book is underrated...because it should be huge! Honestly, I was completely swept off my feet. When I picked it up, I'd heard a few good things about it, but I never expected it to be so enthralling  I read it in one sitting! Derting's writing was captivating to read. The scenes written from the predator's point of view...so scary. They gave me chills. That's how good her writing was. I want to hug this book every time I think about it.

6 comments:

  1. I had Brightly Woven on my list too! I think the Summer trilogy has gotten a lot of notice lately but I like what you said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I really liked Brightly Woven too. Loved North. Rise of Renegade X was even better. I think people who enjoyed White Cat will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Summer I Turned Pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yes yes yes yes yes.

    Check out my Top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour sounds really good. I've seen it on a few lists. I am placing it on my TBR pile right now! I think you are right on about The Body Finder, too. It is pretty big in my library but I push it and it is set a few miles away from our school.

    Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with soooo many of these!!!

    Especially Brightly Woven, Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, The Season, The Rise of Renegade X, and The Body Finder, but definitely Mermaid Park I adore that book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Amy & Roger... one of my fave YA reads of this year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...