Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

What I Read This Summer

At the start of every school year, I get asked the same question over and over again: What did you do this summer? Well, for me, the more appropriate question is "What did you read this summer?"

Well, here is what I read this summer (I must warn you, it is a long list):

1. The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
This book was a great way to kick off my summer of reading. If I had to rate it, it would be somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading Carter's unique take on Greek mythology and the myth of Persephone.

2. The Royal Treatment by Linsdey Leavitt
I posted my review of Leavitt's latest installment in the Princess for Hire series earlier in the summer. Just like the first novel, this was a delightful read. Unlike the first novel, it ended on a wicked cliff hanger. More please!

3. Aces Up by Lauren Barnholdt
I really just did not like this book. The main character and I did not click from the get go. For a supposedly smart girl, she made a lot of stupid decisions. After loving Barnholdt's One Night that Changes Everything last summer, I was incredibly disappointed by Aces Up.

4-10. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Yeah, there's a reason these books are so popular. I really don't think I need to say anymore.

11. Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter
My review for this one is coming soon. Keep an eye out for it!

12. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
Despite the multiple recommendations I've gotten for this book, I didn't like it all that much. The problem wasn't that I didn't enjoy the concept - I did - I just never really connected with Ginny. The book fulfilled its purpose as a good poolside read, but that's about it. A bit of a let down after all the hype it had gotten.

13. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab
Beautiful, creepy, awesome - I loved it. You can read the rest of my thoughts in my review, though they're just as gushing.

14. Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe
My review for this one will be up closer to its release.

15. Abandon by Meg Cabot
This is another book I'm planning on reviewing. I'll give you a little teaser, though: it was a highly entertaining (and intriguing) read.

16. A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young
I spent half of this book mentally kicking myself because I kept imaging the characters/setting from The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. I saw so much of Violet in Charlotte! The other half of the book was spent genuinely interested in the plot and who the Forgotten really were. The book laid a solid foundation for a great series. I see so much potential in this story.

17. Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
This was a re-read to get myself in the right frame of mind for Forever (and I really wanted to read more about Sam *sigh*).

18. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater
I already reviewed this one, but I'll say it again: So. Good. I love every one of these characters so much.

19. Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
 I've heard so many great things about J.D. Salinger's writing and have always wanted to read his works. As shocking as it is, I have yet to read Catcher in the Rye. It's on my list for sure, but Franny and Zooey has always intrigued me, so I chose it as my first foray into Salinger instead. I really love Franny and liked Zooey as well. It was a great read, and really piqued my interest about Catcher.

20. Ripple by Mandy Hubbard
Another title I've already reviewed. I was so happy it was my twentieth book of the summer because it a) is by Mandy Hubbard (on of the first author's I ever worked with), b) is about a teenage siren, c) has a gorgeous cover and d) is a refreshing take on a paranormal romance.

21. Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Another reread in anticipation of one of my most looked forward to releases of the summer: Wolfsbane. I loved this book the first time I read it, and was reminded of that when I read it again. Such a fabulous paranormal!

22. Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer
My review for this one went up earlier in the week. I really enjoyed it, but not quite as much as Nightshade. Even so, I cannot wait for Bloodrose.

23. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Yup, another reread. I always let myself reread my favorite books during the summer. And let me tell you, it was difficult to restrain myself all year long in the case of Anna. I wanted to reread it as soon as I finished my ARC last fall. I adore this book. It is perfection.

24. Red Glove by Holly Black
I read White Cat at the beginning of last summer and was surprised by how much I liked it. (I only picked it up because of VLC's book trailer.) I was really happy to be able to read Red Glove this summer. It was a great continuation of the story. I could see myself reading many more books about Cassel, Lila, and the rest of the gang.

25. Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
My review for this title should be up within the next week or so. It was great with such a fabulous voice and main character. I am already trying to find time to read Supernaturally this school year.

26. Circle of Fire by Michelle Zink
I have about 40 pages of this one left and am typing as fast as I can so that I can get back to it. I was relatively intrigued by the first book in the series, Prophecy of the Sisters, and hadn't expected to love Guardian of the Gate as much as I did. And, boy, did I love it. I think the addition of Dimitri is what really won my over. So far, I've loved Circle of Fire. Zink has a talent for writing this time period, as well as complicated, epic storylines. The combination of the two is enchanting. Speaking of which...I'm going to go back to reading.

Well, that's what I read this summer. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are planning on reviewing Uncommon Criminals and Paranormalcy! And YAY for finally reading Harry Potter. I agree with you on Ginny from 13 Little Blue Envelopes--I also struggled to connect with her. Great list, really looking forward to seeing some of these reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the Abandon review, I quite liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...