Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Abandon by Meg Cabot

Release: April 26, 2011

Source: Purchased
Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back. But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid. Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most. But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.
Abandon snuck up on me, and I was surprised how much I ended up liking it. I say this because, initially, I had no intention of reading it. It’s not that I don’t like Meg Cabot or her writing – I’m a big fan of her Airhead series – I just wasn’t sure I wanted to read yet another paranormal love story that didn’t seem to have much of a hook.

In the end, it was Cabot who convinced me to give Abandon a shot. At the This Is Teen event in San Francisco, she captured my attention while talking about how, ever since high school, she'd wanted to “update” the myth of Persephone. When she later revealed that this was the premise behind Abandon, I knew I had to read it.

After reading the first two pages, which serve as a prologue of sorts, I knew I was going to enjoy Abandon. Cabot is a master at weaving words together, producing a novel that is captivating to read. Pierce had a sincere voice with just the right touch of wit and irony; I simply could not get enough of it.

What really made Pierce such an interesting main character, though, was her troubled past. When the novel starts, she is just beginning her new life in Isla Huesos and the story of how she ended up there is only alluded to. Cabot builds this twisted back story through anecdotes, flashbacks, and sly references, allowing the reader to put the pieces together.

The mystery of that alone was enough to keep me flipping pages, though John definitely helped. His surly, pessimistic character was the perfect balance to Pierce’s sincerity. The scenes in which the two confronted each other were some of my favorites. Their chemistry, combined with the mystery of Pierce’s past, made Abandon a captivating read.

I’d love to leave my review here, to say that I was enthralled by this book and loved it to bits. But, sadly, I rarely get what I want. There was one little thing that really hurt my opinion of the overall book. Actually, it’s kind of a big thing: the climax.

After a startling realization, Peirce is whisked off to safety before anything truly exciting can happen. The whole novel seemed to be building towards a great, exciting climax, a worthy end to Pierce and John’s twisted love story. I was incredibly disappointed to find that this was not the case.

Since Abandon is the first in a series (as I discovered later on), I guess I’ll get my dramatic ending eventually. I just wish I didn’t have to wait for a whole other book (or two or three) to see it happen.

Slightly disappointing ending aside, I found Abandon to be a pleasant surprise. It’s got romance, mystery, Greek mythology – a little bit of everything, all mixed together perfectly.

4 stars!

8 comments:

  1. I just started this book yesterday, and I'm 200 pages in. So far, I love it! I don't think I've gotten to the climax yet so I haven't been hit with the disappointment. Besides that, I'm so glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been reading mixed reviews about this and I still don't know what to think of it. But as you said, since it's a Meg Cabot book, I think I too would give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing some research on this book, and it sounds like a good one! Thank you that you have given your honest opinion about it, like you do with other books! =) I just hope my library has this in! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the ending a little disappointing too. But then I knew there was a sequel so better things are coming in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading Princess diaries and the airhead trilogy by Meg Cabot, I really wanted to read this book because I loved her previous books and this one seemed to be for slightly older readers by looking at the cover. Meg Cabot's books which i read previously have a female main character and something that happens to her which makes the whole story (eg a simple teenager becoming a princess, two different girls change bodies and now - a girl comes back from the dead?).

    After reading this book I can say it is quite different to the previous books I read from Meg Cabot. The style of writing was very interesting to read and quite fast paced. I would recommend Abandon to many friends and I know they would like it, although the main character is a bit annoying sometimes when I read about her outlook on life :).

    I don't want to give out any details of the story, but I can say, I really want to read the next book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this book too. I've always been a fan of Meg Cabot.

    I really like your blog, I'm now following.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also had no intention of picking this up, but now I think I have to. I had no idea that it was a modification of Persephone, now I really need to read it! Thanks for a great review, you totally changed my mind =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this one and I'm a HUGE Meg Cabot fan!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...