Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick

Release: October 4, 2011

Others in the Series: Hush, Hush and Crescendo

Source: Purchased
The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever.
When it comes to this series, I tend to have a pattern: I read one of the books, love it, and then lose my excitement by the time the next book comes out. It happened with  Crescendo, and now it has happened with Silence. Just as with Crescendo, once I read it, I ended up enjoying it. I think all the buzz just makes me cynical.

As with most series, I forgot a lot about the events that preceded this novel. Fortunately, so had Nora. I must admit it was quite fun bumbling along with a narrator with amnesia when I too was suffering from a memory lapse. Talk about relatability!

Another bonus of Nora having her memories stolen was that she got to re-meet Patch and fall for him all over again. And this time, I did too. In Hush, Hush, I wasn't the biggest fan of Patch. Yes, he was mysterious and dark, but he was a little too much of a bad boy. This time around, Fitzpatrick found the perfect blend of bad boy danger/aloofness and genuine humanity. Paired with Nora's new confidence and strong-willed personality, the couple's new romance was wonderful. A great improvement, in my opinion.

And, of course, Fitzpatrick found a way to throw in a twist at the end - one I definitely hadn't seen coming. I just wish the moment had been a tad bit more climactic. In a sense, there were two climaxes, neither of which was incredibly heart pounding.

No matter, I though it was a great ending to an all around lovely series. Only...it wasn't the ending. A few days before Silence's release, Simon & Schuster announced that they would be publishing a fourth (and final?) book in the series. Seeing as how nicely Silence tied everything up, I am not quite sure what to think of the announcement. Most likely, I will say I'm not going to read it, but end up buying it anyway. It' s just my relationship with the series.

4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...