Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Best of 2011: Best Debut

Every new year brings with it a new group of debut authors. They are excited and sweet and their books always entice me. Naturally, every year I participate in the Debut Author Challenge hosted by The Story Siren, and make it my goal to read as many debut novels as I can. This year, my favorite debut novel was...


The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab!
The Near Witch is one of the prettiest books I’ve read in awhile. When the summary says the tale is “achingly familiar,” it isn’t joking. Schwab has crafted a fairy tale as beautiful and haunting as those whispered late at night over backyard campfires.

The entire time I was reading The Near Witch I felt as though I was floating along through a story I’d heard during my childhood but had long since forgotten. Each sentence and paragraph felt as light and eerie as the wind whistling through the trees, calling me forward to pages riddled with even more surprises. I was swept up into Lexi’s world and didn’t leave until I flipped the very last page. It's the kind of story I could easily see myself reading over and over again, never growing bored.

Read the full review here.
The Near Witch was...enchanting? Haunting? Magical? I do not know how to put it into words. Schwab's writing was lyrical, giving the novel a fairy tale feel and entrancing me. The story itself was lovely, but it was Schwab's writing that makes this book my pick for the best debut of 2011. If you haven't read it yet, I would highly suggest picking up a copy as soon as you can. Once you read it, you will understand what I mean.


Tomorrow I will be giving away a very unique award to one of my favorite books of the year. Be sure to stop by to find out which book I'm talking about. And, as always, leave a comment letting me know what you think.

See you then!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to read a fairytale novel! =) One of my friends said my writing style was perfect for fairytale stories, and I feel absolutley enchanted when I watch a Disney movie like Snow White or Alice in Wonderland. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read THE NEAR WITCH but haven't gotten to it yet. It sounds excellent! Must move it up on my TBR list.... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...