Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Best of 2011: Best Surprise

There is always that book that you pick up on whim - maybe you recognize the author, like the cover, are enticed by the title - and end up absolutely adoring. This past year, I encountered one of those books. And it was...


The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater!
From my review:

Much to my surprise, the Scorpio Races were not the main focus of the novel. Rather, Stiefvater focused on developing the island of Thisby and its inhabitants. The island very well may be as magical as the creatures that emerge from the seas around it. Every character, every custom, every delectable pastry was described and developed beautifully. I quickly found myself lost in Thisby, as excited to simply be there as to be following the course of the novel.

It is truly difficult to put my feelings into words. The Scorpio Races was, quite simply, a masterful creation on all levels.

Ever since I read Shiver, I have been a fan of Maggie Stiefvater. I read Lament and Ballad, both of which I enjoyed well enough. They were good, but I didn't love them, not like I loved Shiver. So when I heard Stiefvater had a new standalone coming out, I had mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it was a new book by Maggie Stiefvater! On the other, it may not be able to compare to The Wolves of Mercy Falls. 

But it did. Oh yes it did.

Stiefvater stole my heart in a whole new way. The Scorpio Races was unlike any other book I'd read, with its colorful setting, complex characters, and carnivorous horses. I now know never to doubt Stiefvater's ability to write books that captivate me.

Did you encounter any surprisingly wonderful novels this year? Let me know in the comments. And don't forget to stop by tomorrow for another Best of 2011 title.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh this sounds good to read.

    p/s I'm your new follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the description and saw who the author was, I had to get a copy. I loved it so much (just reviewed it last week)!! And I knew I would, but I ended up loving it even more than I thought I would (because most book don't reach all my expectations).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...