Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Top Ten Childhood Faves


I had so much fun making this list. This just might be my favorite topic thus far. Growing up, I didn't read a lot, but when I did, I got heavily invested in the books/series. To this day, I still count these books amongst some of my all time favorites. The rush of  nostalgia from making this list has me wanting to reread them all over again!

1. The Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Katherine Lasky
If I had to pinpoint the moment where my love of reading began, it would be around chapter four of the very first book in this series. After that, I was hooked. Reading, before then just a part of being in elementary school, became one of my great loves. I tore through this series, buying the newest releases as soon as I could get my hands on them. My poor mother, great woman that she is, endured hours of me retelling the stories of the brave Guardians of Ga'Hoole. 

2. Warriors series by Erin Hunter
The Guardians may have been my first love, but the Warriors series was my first head-over-heels romance with a book series. I don't think I have ever loved a series quite as much as this one. I read the first three story arcs - from fourth grade all the way into my freshman year of high school. I simply adore everything about this series and have nothing but fond memories of it. To this day, I will strike up a conversation with my friends Katie and Shannon about the series, and we will get all fan-girly about how awesome the books were.

3. Heartland series by Lauren Brooke
In addition to cats, I also love horses. This series appealed to my inner horse lover, feeding her glorious tales of the bond between horses and their riders. It captivated me, eventually leading me to take up horseback riding, one of my favorite childhood memories. Though the books may have ended, Heartland ranch lives on in a television series produced by CBC, which I frequently watch.

4. The Princess Tales series by Gail Carson Levine
I completely forgot about this series until just now. Ah, I loved these books so much! My sister and I were constantly swapping them, reading each one in a day or two. Though I loved Ella Enchanted, this series will always be my favorite of Levine's, simply because of the memories it holds of my sister.

5. Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
My best friend, Kenzie, turned me onto this book. I remember reading in Tahoe, completely captivated by the story. Had I not read this book, I never would have gone to the Shannon Hale and Libba Bray signing in San Francisco - the event that ultimately led to the creation of Chick Lit Teens. So not only was this book a great read, it was also instrumental in changing my life.

6. Chestnut Hill series by Lauren Brooke
Yet another horse-centered series from Lauren Brooke. This one had much less to do with helping horses and more to do with boarding school relationships and horse shows. Nonetheless, I found myself entranced by the series. I just adore horses.

7. Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
I am fairly certain every child read this book at some point, at least that was the case when I was a kid. It was just so cute and heart-warming!

8. Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde
Oh, how I loved this book growing up. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon it, but I certainly did enjoy it. I think it may have been the first science fiction-y book I read and actually enjoyed, probably because of its high fantasy flair. I actually enjoyed it so much that, years later, I went to the bookstore and purchased a copy for my personal library. 

9. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
This is another one of those books that I feel almost every child has read. It was one of the first books to make me cry. Simply enchanting.

10. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
I think this was the one and only book report/Reader's Workshop book that I genuinely enjoyed. The murder mystery storyline captivated fifth-grade me and led me to pick up many similar books, such as one of my all time favorites, Bad Kitty by Michelle Jaffe.

Okay, now that you've seen my list, I want to know what books you adored as a child. 

1 comment:

  1. I've always liked books and always had the compulsion to read, but the Harry Potter books (big surprise =) ) were the ones that kept be up at night and were so heartwarming and beautiful. Bride to Terabithia was also wonderful, and I actually cried. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief will always be a true favorite. Peter and the Starcatchers, in my opinion, is one of the best books in the world. =) The Magician's Elephant and The Tail of Despereaux were very enchanting and great books to wonder about. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...