Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Top Ten Favorite Covers (Not Featuring Girls With Flowing Hair)

Every Tuesday, book bloggers all over the blogosphere take part in The Broke and the Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday. As a list maker myself, I am particularly fond of this weekly feature. This week, the theme is Top Ten Favorite Covers. 

A few days ago, Lauren DeStefano, author of Wither and the newly-released Fever, posted a picture of a humorous display from a bookstore in Minneapolis. The display featured new YA books, accompanied by a sign that read, "Serious Girls with Flowing Hair." Needless to say, I started laughing. Half because it was funny and half because it was true. I have so many books with girls with flowing hair, and I never really noticed it. So this week, in honor of this display, I am going to be making a list of book covers without girls with flowing hair. 


1. The Lost Saint by Bree Despain
No hair here, just pale legs and some gorgeous blue fabric. I have long been a fan of this cover, as well as that of its predecessor. And while The Dark Divine's cover is lovely, The Lost Saint is by far my favorite. I can directly attribute this favoritism to the blue. Even when I was little, blue was my favorite color. This shade is particularly pretty, especially with the stark contrast of the black background and pale, white legs.

2. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Again with the blue. And the werewolves. And the main characters named Grace. (Er, we'll ignore those other two for the time being.) There really is just something striking about blue and white, especially on a book cover. I have always found the cover for Shiver to be particularly striking with the mess of icy blue vines and heart-shaped leaves. 

3. Tempest by Julie Cross
Before you say anything, I know there is a girl on this cover and that technically her hair is flowing. To that, I offer a big but. The girl is not the central focus of the cover, and thus her flowy hair does not count. Plus, her hair has nothing to do with my liking the cover. No, my reasons for liking the cover have a lot more to do with the atmospheric clouds and dramatic, representative figures. It is just lovely.

4. Ripple by Mandy Hubbard
Have you seen a theme yet? Blue. I told you I had a thing for it. Coincidentally, I also have always had a thing for mermaids. So an atmospheric cover that featured both blue and a hint of mermaid is golden in my book. Throw in a few sultry, dangerous looks, and I'm sold.

5. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
If you were a part of the blogosphere a few years ago when this cover was first released, you probably remember all of the buzz about it. People, me included, went ga-ga over the cover. The artistic, dramatic air of the cover was unparalleled at the time. Nowadays, there are moody storm clouds and dramatic figures everywhere. But a few years ago, that was not the case. This was an innovative, striking cover - one I still love to this day.

6. A Great and Terribly Beauty by Libba Bray
Ever since I picked up this book many years ago, I have loved the cover. It is simple, yet striking, with a gorgeous burgundy and red color palette. I especially love how the model is turned away mysteriously, showcasing the back of the corset.

7. Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
The colors on this cover are what really make this cover shine. With most of the cover sepia toned, the colors from the flowers and the model's eyes really pop. It is both beautiful and haunting - the perfect combination for the face of this book.

8. Sea by Heidi R. Kling
Oh, this cover. We have had quite a love affair. In addition to being the face of a wonderful book, it is also lovely. The blue of the water melt seamlessly into the Indonesian pattern. Equally beautiful is the silhouette of the couple, the green standing out in all of that blue.

9. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
It would have been easy for this cover to go down the ordinary paranormal path: a haunted female figure or flowing gown. Instead, it went for a more atmospheric, representative cover. The purple stands out starkly against the black, while the barely-there silver trees give the cover a haunting effect. It perfectly captures the Southern Gothic feel of the books with its dark beauty.

10. Luxe by Anna Godbersen
Talk about dress envy! I...there are no words. For a dress fiend like me, this cover is heavenly. All of that gorgeous pink fabric and ruching - it is just so elegant. Sigh.

Well, those are my top ten favorite non-flowy-haired girls covers. What are yours?

(Note: I have nothing against girls with flowing hair, as I am one myself. And you can't really hate yourself. Well, you can, but I personally do not have the money to spend on therapy. I need that money for books!)

1 comment:

  1. Great choices! I especially love Beautiful Creatures, Born Wicked, and The Lost Saint (Though I like the violet Dark Divine cover best in that series!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...