Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Cover Judge

Cover Judge is a regular feature on Chick Lit Teens, wherein I spotlight some of my favorite covers of upcoming novels. After all, with a cover like this week's, it's hard not to judge a book by its cover.

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

Release: November 6, 2012

Summary:
In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed "Daughter of Smoke and Bone," Karou must come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, mysteries and secrets, new characters and old favorites, Days of Blood and Starlight brings the richness, color and intensity of the first book to a brand new canvas.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was declared a "must read" by Entertainment Weekly, was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon.com, and The New York Times called it "a breath-catching romantic fantasy."

Cover: When I first saw the cover for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I did not know what to think. Yes, it was pretty, and the blue was striking, but it seemed a little...unsettling. For months, as I strolled through the bookstores, I felt the eyes following me from beneath the blue butterfly mask, daring me to read it. A few days ago, I finally rose to the challenge. And, suddenly, I got the cover. Now, knowing the characters and the plight they were left in at the end of the first novel, I also appreciate the cover for the sequel, Days of Blood and Starlight. In fact, I think I may like it even more than the first cover. This is a series suffused with shadows and otherworldly creatures, set half in a world of angels and beasts and half in the streets of Prague. It seems only fitting that the covers should reflect this vibrant-yet-haunting air. I especially like how, on this cover, the girl has stepped further from the shadows. Now, instead of merely her eyes and lips being in the light, her entire face is on display. It seems fitting after all that transpired at the end of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. What I find most entrancing about this cover, though, is the bright pop of red around her eyes. The pattern is as mesmerizing as the color is striking. If I was walking through the bookshelves, there is no way I could miss this cover. And, hopefully, I wouldn't wait quite so long to pick it up.

2 comments:

  1. I've yet to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but I must admit, this second cover freaks me out more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how a cover gains different responses from different people. I wonder what they wanted the reader to think when they created this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...