Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Selection by Keira Cass

Release: April 24, 2012

Source: Purchased (per The Book Cellar's recommendation)
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
A few months ago, I swore off dystopian. I quit cold turkey, and have never looked back. That is, until I read The Selection. Between the gorgeous cover and the buzz about its non-dystopian feel, I simply could not resist.

After racing through the book, I can honestly say I am glad I broke my dystopian ban. The Selection was well worth it.

What fueled my zeal for this novel was not the characters or the romance (though those were excellent), but rather the storytelling. The entire time I read The Selection, I did not feel like I was in a dystopia. Instead, I felt as though I was reading a high fantasy adventure, like those of Shannon Hale and Alexandra Bracken. Yes, there was political strife and rebellious turmoil, but it was presented in a way that made it palatable. The entire novel felt as though it was infused with a dash of magic – the mark of a great fantasy read.

Equally enticing was the inclusion of modern culture in the post-World War Four society of Iléa. One minute America would be wearing opulent gowns, her hair being arranged by maids, and the next she would be wearing jeans, bantering with the Prince. Throughout the entire novel, there was a lovely clashing of uptight court etiquette and modern flirting. Perhaps this is why I fell for The Selection, because it took pieces of my favorite genres – high fantasy, historical fiction, contemporary romance – and mixed them into one delicious novel.

No matter what it was that caught my attention, once I began reading, I was hooked. My day slipped away, until suddenly I looked up, and realized it was nighttime. Of course, I was less concerned with the hour, and more concerned with the words I had just read: “End of Book One.”

Yes, a cliffhanger, my dears. Well, not truly a cliff hanger. More like an abrupt ending, one I definitely was not ready for. It would be very much appreciated if Kiera Cass could finish up the next book as soon as possible. I desperately want more.

5 stars!

5 comments:

  1. I love love love this one. This book is totally a dystopian for those of us who don't really like dystopians :) SO HAPPY YOU LIKED THIS ONE TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet, but it looks wonderful. Everyone has said that it doesn't read like a dystopian at all, which was what really enticed me. And the cover. How gorgeous are the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book too; I call it dystopia-lite and flew through it. Can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. I wish the ending hadn't been as abrupt. I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked this one up a few weeks ago because of the cover (I have a weakness for pretty dresses, okay), and was a little iffy about the dystopian genre as I'm not a huge fan.

    Nevertheless I started reading and I was hooked until I finished - I loved it and I would recommend it in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...