Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Top Ten Books For People Who Like Sarah Dessen


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week, book bloggers post a top ten list in response to a predetermined prompt. For example, this week's prompt is, "Top Ten Books for People Who Like (Insert Author's Name Here)." To find out more about Top Ten Tuesday and how you can participate, visit The Broke and the Bookish here.

Now, for my list.

Ever since middle school, when a friend of mine recommended The Truth About Forever, Sarah Dessen has been one of my favorite chick-lit authors. Over the course of a month, I read every single title by Sarah Dessen. I was sold.

Of course, since Dessen only releases a novel every other year or so, I have had to find other ways to satisfy my chick-lit cravings. Below are ten of my favorite Dessen-reminiscent titles.

1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
What, you're not surprised to find this novel at the top of my list? Perhaps because you have read my blog before, and therefore know I much I adore it? Seriously, read this book. It will not disappoint.

2. Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler
Of the titles on this list, I think this one is the most "Dessen-esque." It has everything from family secrets and strife to summer romance, all wrapped up with some small town charm.

3. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Again, Stephanie Perkins is a chick lit wizard (or witch, I guess). Either way, I would highly recommend this title as well.

4. Mermaid Park by Beth Mayall
An old favorite of mine. So old, in fact, that it was one of the first YA novels I ever read. Much like Fixing Delilah, it has family drama and romance. Only, instead of a small town, the main character's job in a mermaid-themed water show lends the novel a quirky quality.

5. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
When I read this novel, I was not utterly impressed with it. Over time, however, it has grown on me, much like Dessen's Just Listen.

6. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Witty, fun, and fast-paced, this novel is an all-around winner. You will breeze through it much faster than a Dessen novel, but find yourself equally giddy in the end.

7. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
I only recently read this novel, and while it was not one of my favorites, I do think it had a lot of Dessen-like qualities. There was the single mom making questionable choices, the main character striving to break free of her mother's imposed "perfection," and a taste of first love.

8. The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Another novel  I adore. I'm pretty sure I have already sang its praises at least a dozen times on my blog. But, honestly, it deserves all the love. Han's writing is simply magical, as is the story she spins.

9. One Night that Changes Everything by Lauren Barnholdt
A wonderfully entertaining read, this is another title that will read much faster (and lighter) than a Dessen novel, but prove equally enchanting.

10. Sea by Heidi R. Kling
If you are looking for personal struggle, look no further than this novel. Kling did an amazing job portraying the strife of Sienna, having lost her mother suddenly, and Denny, having survived the Indonesian tsunami. Everything about this novel, from the romance to the setting, was beautiful.

Well, there you have it, my top ten book for Sarah Dessen fans. Hopefully I have given you a few ideas for your summer reading.

8 comments:

  1. Great list! Most of these book sounds like I would really like them! I'm going to check them out.

    Happy Reading :)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did the same theme for Top Ten Tuesday! Awesome list - oly one of ours were similar, but some of the others I haven't read yet! Thanks for the recommendations, and here's the link to my Top Ten Tuesday! http://theliteraturelion.blogspot.com/2012/07/top-ten-tuesday-books-for-people-who.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie Perkins for sure! I also suggest Jessi Kirby for SD fans. Yay summer reads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous list! I love Sarah Dessen's books so much. :) I also think that Dessen and Han were separated at birth...their books fit together like awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks! I absolutely love Sarah Dessen's books! I'm definitely going to have to check out some of your suggestions!

    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic list! There are 2 on your list I haven't read, so I must go look into them. So happy to read about another reviewer who adored The Statistical Probability and One Night That Changes Everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interestingly, I love Sarah Dessen and love most of these books... and the ones I didn't love, I disliked so much I didn't finish :P (Sea & Mermaid Park, fyi.) Other than those, great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Sarah Dessen and have read all her books too! I'm adding a lot of these to my list if you say they're similar to dessen. Thanks for a great list. I'm especially interested in reading One night that changed everything.My Top Ten Tuesday
    -Melissa @HarleyBearBooks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...